Shoe marks on side sills

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have a problem with scuff marks on the side sills (mine is a black car)? It seems that my passengers always drag their shoes on the hot side sills while getting out and leave a rubber mark. I can't find anything that takes it off aside from using my fingernail and really scraping. I've tried rubbing alcohol, gas, dish detergent and regular old car soap, but nothing seems to work. I think that the shoe rubber cooks on the hot paint and makes it difficult to remove.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happens to me everyday. They usually come off when washed. I got them all the time in my gts too. Chalk up to owning a viper .

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try "Goo Gone"

Like most folks, I use Goo Gone for lots of stuff. When something's a bit too tough for Goo Gone, I step up to denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol). When somethings too tough for denatured alcohol, I step up to acetone (but this is when you have to start being careful).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Goo-Gone is very aromatic and volatile.... be CERTAIN the sills are cool.
WD 40 works great too.... as does Honda Spray Wax & Cleaner....and believe it or not, Mayonnaise does it safely..... DONT EVEN ASK !!!!

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a more extreme version of the same problem. I wear leg braces and getting in & out of my Black SRT, I tend to scrape the sill, which cuts my pants and scrapes the paint off the sill. I have been thinking of some kind of solution like black rubber, stainless or something else to attach to the sill, but want it to look good, not hokey or cheap.

Anyone have ideas?

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WD-40 is great for black marks, road tar, and bugs, won't remove your wax either. I've never tried mayo but will. There's a black mark remover that works well too and is sold in the RV supplies section.
CB

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

have Tuff bedliner sprayed on. (Must have professional do it in very thin coat) Not visable with door shut, and if done right, you'll never scrape paint again. I'm looking at having this done on the underside of the side panels "below sidepipes".

Just a thought!

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you are talking about removing the scuff marks (I have them on mine too!) but you could mount side sill cover plates to keep it from happening in the future. I know I have seen them somewhere, but I can't remember who had them....

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my entire sills covered with clearbra from the front wheels all the way back to the exhaust right up under the doors and to the carpet. NOT A PROBLEM IN THE WORLD. NO stone chips, no heal scuffs, so scrapes no nothing, wouldn't live without it. Had it done by a real expert in New Jersey. Really saving the beauty of my car and still not having to baby or clean it.
The best thing is nobody can even tell it's there , just looks like a beautiful WAX job.

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did the same thing with the 3m clear bra.everything wipes right off. i extended it up the hood and also down the side sills. from the factory kit.

the clear bra is a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion. it has saved my paint more than once already.

if you're in south florida call pepi at auto super sheild in boca raton.he is the best in this area.

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

Since my car is black, that's the only color I checked on. I'm sure pigment could be added to the compound but probably wouldn't be an exact match. I'm waiting on quote, and heat questions answered now. I'll let you know what I find out. 3M clear bra may work in some cases, but do you really think it would hold up to metal braces hitting it?

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
--- do you really think it would hold up to metal braces hitting it?

I'm not Rob, but I would think not too well. The material is soft, but very resistant to puncture. It would get ruffled up with metal hitting it, but I doubt you would puncture it unless you really hit it hard.

I guess I am saying it would hold up but be scuffed up. Better than messing up the paint though, maybe.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both the bedliner and clearbra are excellent suggestions. Monday I will check the body shop to see if they can apply either of those solutions.

If the clearbra prevented scrapes but needed to be replaced periodically that wouldn't bother me, as long as it stopped the scrapes (which look like hell, as the substrate shows through, and it's not black). Also the scrapes are visible with the door closed as they are on the top outer edge of the door sill. Another idea I have considered is a piece of hard aluminum, curved to fit the sill, and anodised black. It would still get scraped, but should be more durable than paint.

Another area that is getting pretty beat up is the plastic panel between the door sill and carpet. I have tried to watch what I am doing getting in & out, but am not aware when I am doing damage. Good thing I don't get upset easily, these things would upset a lot of people, but not me - at least not TOO upset.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a great attitude to have Mike. Myself nearing death, more times than I care to remember, find it very easy to overlook many things others would consider "The End". I would really consider the Tuff liner. Very durable, replacing wouldn't be an issue, and I don't believe any marks would become visable; regardless of how hard you scrape it. Again, the heat may be an issue. But considering how hot texas days in the sun get in the back of a black pickup truck, I just can't see this being a reall issue. IMO, if done right, the contrast from gloss to satin could actaully look very unique. As I mentioned, I'm looking at having the underside of my sidesills done, I'm curious to find out what your body shop says.