Shopping Experience

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it is time to add a car to my 08 Coupe. I have been looking at the following in what was my order of possibility

Ford GT 60%
Gallardo 30%
R8 10%

I went to a dealership that had all 3 so it was a good opportunity to look at them together. After looking at the R8, it just didn't do it for me. The Gallardo was definitely the best looking. They had one in the shop and the guy told me to crank it up. When that thing started, it was a whole new ballgame. It sounded incredible. It did have aftermarket exhaust, but that is something I'm just going to have to add to the price. Must have. Well pretty much, the models/pcts changed after this trip.

Gallardo 70%
Ford GT 30%

The only heartburn I have is I know the GT will not lose much of it's value, probably increase, but the Gallardo will go down. Just need to determine if I want to take a hit for the difference of looks/interior.

Any other experiences like mine?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you asked,

Ford GT 90%
Lambo anything 10%

Yes Lambo's sound great, but the reason the Ford GT will hold it's value is simple. Better looking today and still great looking 20 years from now.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a wonderful choice to have to make!

While at a much lower $$ level, I went through some comparison shopping before deciding on my ACR. Everything from GTR to CTS-V coupe. It all comes down to how you will use the car, and whether you consider it to be any kind of an "investment". I ended up being honest with myself: while any of the three on my short list satisfied my "easily trackable" criterion, I also really wanted people to look at the car and be speechless. Hence the Viper.

Deciding Gallardo vs. GT? Unless I was absolutely made of money, I'd have a real hard time using/tracking a Ford GT. The rarity of the car manages to eclipse its impressive technical abilities/content. But if the car is mostly for show and/or future value? No brainer, GT all the way.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the GT far more, but maybe that's because they're quite rare here. The Lambo is also awesome, man that's a nice choice to make! have fun doing it!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents for what its worth:

-Heritage Edition Ford GT if you're looking for a neat car with high resale value (driving it rarely)
-Any other clean titled Ford GT for simply having the ownership experience (I'd target dealers who get one in on trade and attempt to acquire it somewhere between wholesale and retail pricing (calls to a few of the General Managers of the biggest foreign dealerships ought to be enough))

The Gallardo is a great handling, sounding sports car but hardly as unique as the Ford GT and to really make them sound terrific you're gonna spend a lot in exhaust. (none of which you'll recoup if/when you sell) The Gallardo Spyder looks a lot better than the coupe, but you didn't specify whether you're looking for a vert or not.

Regards,
Aaron

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Murci and maybe there is a question a Gallardo? Not even close GT all the way!
But of course buy the one that moves you. Nothing better than walking past "that" car in the garage!
Have fun

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really pity your situation:D Especially asking us:D:D:D

Yea, some of us on here have 100K daily drivers worth nothing so we can afford a Gen 1-3 Viper... I'd say you are in a desperate situation... :lmao: My heart goes out to you as I try to figure out if I can afford a billet gas cap for my Gen 3... :D

Just messin' with ya. Hey, if you can afford it--go for it! If I could afford it I would go for the GT. That car is the coolest car on the planet. We would be like brothers--I drive a Ford too (Ford Five Hundred)...:lmao:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to drive either? Are you looking at a Gallardo LP560-4, 550-2, SL, base? If you haven't been able to drive either car you may want to looking for a rental company close to you that offers one or both for you to try.

OP
OP
B

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, thats really an issue. The one I want is the LP560-4, spyder. The problem is, if I go that route (2009-2010), I wont be able to keep my Viper. I've done some more research and on Manheim, they are bringing about $199k at auction. A 2007 spyder is around $140k. That is a pretty bad hicky for 2 years. Way too much to justify keeping both. That has changed my perspective somewhat. I have seen some GT's in the $150-$160 range, and the thing about them, is they will be worth that or more in the future. I know it sounds like a pretty snobby decision, but I turn 50 this year, and the only hobbies I have are my kids, hunting and my car(s). If this would have been 4-5 years ago, I would have bought real estate instead, but now, I might as well enjoy what I spend my money on. Real estate is not what it used to be and not nearly as fun....

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally LOVE Lambos, but have gained a special appreciation for the Ford GT. I have not seen too many in my life, other then at a car show, I've probably only seen two on the streets. One in Providence, RI and the other somewhere in Massachusetts, I forget. Either way, I've seen A LOT of Gallardos, easily 20 or more on the road in the past few years. Although, this isn't extremely important when deciding on buying a car, if you're looking for rarity go with the GT. Also considering value as others have already said the GT will most certainly hold it's own much better then the Gallardo. Regardless, you can't lose with either car. I'd love to be in your situation haha.

This past weekend I was watching the Mecum Auction as I always do and a 2006 Ford GT sold for $157,500. It was black, a Beautiful car as you can see from the link below. So it just goes to show, this GT being 5 years old hasn't lost it's value at all.. :)

2006 Ford GT 610 HP, 6-Speed for sale by Mecum Auction

P.S. if you were deciding between a Murciélago or Diablo VT 6.0 vs getting a Ford GT, now that's a different story in my opinion. ;)

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. if you were deciding between a Murciélago or Diablo VT 6.0 vs getting a Ford GT, now that's a different story in my opinion. ;)

Agreed. If you throw the murc or diablo in the mix, which both can be had at 140 or less, Id pick them over the GT.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this helps. The Heritage, which had a $175K sticker now goes for over $200K. Drive one. Nothing wrong with Lambo but there is nothing like a GT and easier to fix. (like a Viper) Also get a Heffner or Hennessey exhaust on a GT--I have both--hard to imagine a better sound.
Sorry for the double GT post.

Attachments

• HGT16.jpg
    HGT16.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UGR TT Gallardo.

Whipple Ford GT.

Win / win... post pics!

If you are trying to piss away the most money, in the shortest amount of time. Then, yes. That would be the way to go. :D

Why not a Murci? You can get into a 04-05 Murci, for Ford GT money...

If protecting your principal is a consideration. Go with the GT... Lambos and Ferraris will cost you $20k per year to own, one way or another... Between maint,depreciaiton,etc. And selling them is a PITA!!!!!!!

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're still making Lambos, not GT's.
Therefore, the GT will have much better future value.
And since the GT is a retro design based on the 60's race cars, the designs will endure, whereas next year the Lambo will look like last year's Lambo.
GT all the way!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're still making Lambos, not GT's.
Therefore, the GT will have much better future value.
And since the GT is a retro design based on the 60's race cars, the designs will endure, whereas next year the Lambo will look like last year's Lambo.
GT all the way!

This is a very good point.. I like the way you think :2tu: