Short Throw Shifter ! My 2nd most favorite Mod !

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see many people post or praise the mod but I just recently bought and installed one. :D WOW ! :D

Where have I been! I bought SVS's brand and all I can say is what a difference it is. I knew of the throw theory but their design makes it almost impossible to miss 3rd. It's spring loaded and sits upright so when shifting out of 2nd all I basically have to do is push forward. It goes right in to 3rd. That use to be my hardest and most missed shift. It is very well designed and made. The feel is crisp and I like hearing that positive click it makes now every time I shift. Of course my first favorite mod was my motor but why do I not hear that much about it?
It was not that easy to install but most could probably do it.

Anybody else feel the same?

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperrt96, How is the shift from 4th to third? I have no problem shifting up the ladder with the stock shifter but will sometimes hit 5th when going from 4th down to 3rd. Really annoying when that happens. :crazy:

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperrt96, How is the shift from 4th to third? I have no problem shifting up the ladder with the stock shifter but will sometimes hit 5th when going from 4th down to 3rd. Really annoying when that happens. :crazy:

I don't really know how to explain it other than the way it has the spring tension to stay in the center and center is 3rd and 4th. All that hunting for 3rd and 4th is much easier. I mean Nothing has really changed you are pulling slightly over of course for first and second and slightly pushing for 5th and 6th. I know that sounds remedial but with the stock set-up I guess you could say the amount of free play it has you could miss gears. I know I have. :rolleyes: I'm guessing 3rd and 4th are probably the most used gears when on a track (road course) and I can see why they made it the way they did. You don't have to go looking(feel for a gear) when shifting. For the Money I should have done it years ago!

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will your stock shifter knob work on it. I have the 96 white/blue like you and want to keep the blue knob.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, your stock blue knob will work on any aftermarket shifter(caviat, the first production Hurst shifters had a different thread, but they are the same now).

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will your stock shifter knob work on it. I have the 96 white/blue like you and want to keep the blue knob.

Yes they are the same. I have the MGW first strike knob. It makes for a nice combo. SVS's shifter also comes with two different sizes for selection. One that is 1" lower than stock(my choice) and a 2" lower than stock.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SVS's shifter also comes with two different sizes for selection. One that is 1" lower than stock(my choice) and a 2" lower than stock.

Did you receive both sizes with the shifter? I installed the same shifter several weeks ago and it only had the 1-inch shorter shaft in the box. I was told that they are currently out of the 2-inch shafts but that they will be getting more in soon. With the 1-inch the top of my stock knob is about 5-3/4" above the console (Gen II). I'd like it a tad lower.

Yes, the new shift feel is quite nice. ;)

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SVS's shifter also comes with two different sizes for selection. One that is 1" lower than stock(my choice) and a 2" lower than stock.

Did you receive both sizes with the shifter? I installed the same shifter several weeks ago and it only had the 1-inch shorter shaft in the box. I was told that they are currently out of the 2-inch shafts but that they will be getting more in soon. With the 1-inch the top of my stock knob is about 5-3/4" above the console (Gen II). I'd like it a tad lower.

Yes, the new shift feel is quite nice. ;)

2" lowering bolt being sent tomorrow :D

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does this shifter compare to the Hurst? How much?

How hard was it to install in a Gen II?

I'm interested in a group buy.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does this shifter compare to the Hurst? How much?

How hard was it to install in a Gen II?

I'm interested in a group buy.

I didn't do a search before I made the post but here is a recent thread on your exact question.

Shifter comparisons

I have a friend that has the B&M(Cobra T56-same tranny different car) and after he checked out my SVS. He said no camparison in the two. I agree. SVS is much better! Pay the extra or go in on a group buy.

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes they are the same. I have the MGW first strike knob. It makes for a nice combo. SVS's shifter also comes with two different sizes for selection. One that is 1" lower than stock(my choice) and a 2" lower than stock.

ok, just to confirm. I have an 01 GTS with a cognac shifter knob and I'd like to retain it. Can I retain it?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, just to confirm. I have an 01 GTS with a cognac shifter knob and I'd like to retain it. Can I retain it?

Yes. The stock shaft screws right onto the new bolt. I currently have the 1" shorter bolt with the stock shaft and cognac knob. This setup leaves the top of the knob about 5-3/4" above the console but I'm waiting for the 2" shorter bolt to lower it a bit more.

You can see the different length bolts that are included with the shifter and get a better idea of what I mean here:

SVS Short Throw Shifter

And here's a pic of what mine currently looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can have a quanity of SVS shifters made immediately.

If we're doing a group buy I can price these as follows:

No less than 10 up to 19 orders $275 ea (includes both shift bolts)no s/h

No less than 20 orders $250 ea (includes both shift bolts)no s/h

The SVS shift bolts sell for $25ea.

If anyone uses the paypal on our site they will be charged the full price.

This group buy officially starts today and will last 3 weeks and end on 11-7-06
After 11-7 I will make a post that will state the total amount of interested buyers.
That will set the price and payments will need to be collected between 11-10-06 and 11-13-06

We need to start an official list.
From this thread the following names are interested:

jcaspar1
RikRok
AJT
BADMOFO

The SVS shifter will work on Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3

I will mention the group buy in other sections of the forums.

good luck