Should I change my head gaskets???

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my intake off while I am changing my thermostat. My buddy says that with the history of bad head gaskets on the 96's I should go ahead and change them while I am in there. What do you guys think? If yes does anyone have a set for sale??

Thanks

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your head gaskets should be fine; you have a Gen 2 engine which has the updated gaskets from the factory.
1996 RT's are still Gen 1 engines.

npeifer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm

I have a 96 RT/10 which is the Gen 1 engine so should I change mine ? I work at a Dodge dealership and have a 180 degree thermostat that I was thinking of installing.

I have a 5yr/50k warranty that I bought 6 months ago so I was just going to wait since it covers if something goes wrong with the head gaskets. What are the signs of trouble ?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm

I have a 96 RT/10 which is the Gen 1 engine so should I change mine ? I work at a Dodge dealership and have a 180 degree thermostat that I was thinking of installing.

I have a 5yr/50k warranty that I bought 6 months ago so I was just going to wait since it covers if something goes wrong with the head gaskets. What are the signs of trouble ?

Check and see if they've been replaced and when. If they have, its possible they were replaced with the same ol' crappy paper style gaskets. But, according to Jon B, you may still be safe because they had found the problem by 99' (when mine were replaced with the old style) and even the old style gaskets will PROBABLY not give you any problems.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are the signs of trouble
-----------------------------------------------------------
They weep

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmm

I have a 96 RT/10 .....
I have a 5yr/50k warranty that I bought 6 months ago ...

How did you manage this? A 5 year 50k warranty on a 10 year old car? Come on... give it up and sign me up also.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to my photos; click on "28 photos" under my avatar, go to page 2, and scroll to the bottom and see the photo "CoolantLeak05", click on photo to enlarge; That is what you look for.
Replace with the later metal gaskets.

Later,

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to my photos; click on "28 photos" under my avatar, go to page 2, and scroll to the bottom and see the photo "CoolantLeak05", click on photo to enlarge; That is what you look for.
Replace with the later metal gaskets.

Later,

Here's your pic!

428CoolantLeak05-med.jpg

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm

Yes, please let us know how you pulled that one off, other than the car sitting on the showroom for several years new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte