Should I purge the cooing system on a 02 GTS???

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The upper radiator hose blew off when I was on the track. What should I do??
I just reinstalled the upper hose and filled the radiator back up with coolant and water.

Should I Purge the cooling system as described by in the "Illustrated Upgrades" section?
Do the instructions only apply to '92 to '01 Vipers?
The instructions say "92 to 01". If it needs to be done on the 02's, then are the instructions exactly the same or are there differences in the 02's cooling system?

Thanks!

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, purge the trapped air. If you don’t purge the air on the upper hose, the coolant cannot circulate, and the block temp will quickly get hot (your temp guage will show). Sorry to hear the upper hose blew. The illustrated guide applies to all Gen II's.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you drain the system and flush with distilled water as described in Ron's post on the subject...an 02 is "due" at the 3 year mark anyway. Procedure is basically the same for Gen II's...just did our 01 this week...and, of course, added Roe Racing silicone radiator hoses to replace those nasty-asp OEM hoses(you should see the black residue inside the hoses and the buildup of deposits on the wire in the lower hose !!).