Should there be a Seperate Gen 1 Forum?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious what you think. On an active day a gen 1 post may only hang around for 8 hours or so. With all the mod and performance gen 2 threads going on things get lost in the shuffle. Most of the gen 2 cars are under warrantee and that takes care of the service issues. As the cars get older the service problems occur, the info on how these problems get resolved will be very valuable to the present car owners. Although the search key is available to us. I have found that unless I tell it exactly what it wants to hear, it can't get me the info I want.
I agree that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars are cut from the same mold, but each year had its own issues and qualities.
I can not speak for the Gen 2 guys, so I am asking what you think.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. It will probably be more feasible in a few years when a Gen I, Gen II, and Gen III forum will be necessary.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love a Gen 1 forum - if only for the higher mileage, non-warranty, replacement parts information for the less than wealthy owners to help keep the cars going strong. I think sharing how to modify a Dakota inner tie rod to fit, sane discussions of the head gaskets, how to rebuild rear calipers, or how Gen 2 exhaust manifolds fit on a Gen 1 is what's going to keep the older (gee, now 10 years old) cars on the road. I have 64,000 miles and I can see the wear and tear issues are coming. For instance, anybody know of a source for rear caliper bolt dust boots?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a 96 rt I would agree that service and repair issues will eventually creep up. And as parts become more scarce it would be nice...Although I'm still holding at 11,000 miles..lol

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Great idea. I would certainly come. Seems like an appropriate division of Gen I, II and III. If anyone wants to stray into another generation's forum, then they can, but there will be easier reading when sorted. Vipermad - please do it.

ps - For example I'll know in a few days if I can fit a Gen II inner rubber shift boot on a Gen I, for which that part is no longer in stock. JonB and Chuck did not know. But all Gen I cars will need some solution to this soon - probably already if you have a lot of heat coming to the leather shift boot!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Great Idea!
Only downside I see is that my surfing time on this site will double or triple as I follow threads on Gen 1,2, & 3.
Best thing is there would be no VIPAIR thread based on our intake set-up. :laugh:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a really good idea, everything Tom said is what I'm trying to do right now.... I'm a diehard "do-it-yourselfer". Alot of the stuff on the 1&11 board is directed at the gen.2. I think it would be a great help to separate!!!!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice thought, but no. Here's why, the Gen II guys were (most of the cases) Gen I owners. If we have our own "forum", then there is a very good possiblilty we will lose some very valuable experience and knowledge. The will primarily stay on "their" side, keep all the originals together!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree, most everybody on here knows or read something elsewhere on the site, everybody surfs, i think it wouild help. jmho

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first i said no don't separate us keep us whole.
but the Gen 3 board messed that idea up!

It makes sense seeing that now there are so many differences.

solid idea.. So, Tony when will it be added?

Reaction score
I am not taking sides either way...for the record. :)

I know that in the past, adding new forums has been an issue. It is impossible to please everyone, all the time. My gut is to give people what they want. :)

There are two main schools of thought.

1) I have seen some people suggest having just ONE huge forum

2) Keep things a bit more organized and have the distinct forums.

I guess my question would be....If you posted a question in the GEN I area, and got no replies....would you then go to another forum and post?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I know that in the past I (we) have made some decisions and some changes with little thought ( :) ), live and learn.

I DO like the open communications, and welcome all input. Please do NOT take any inaction, or lack of response, as an indication of a negative outcome. I will be the first (if I can) to post one way or the other, right here for all to see. :)

I think for each person who would like to have it separate, there may be a counterpart who does not want yet another forum to view..... just a thought. :)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony- We are grossly outnumbered now. Plus most of the guys that went on to gen 2 cars did so before there warrantee ran out. Service never being a major hassle. Discontinued parts? Not a reality yet (for them). Info. on most of the little quirks are handle by the long term car owners or long time techs, vendors.
I have posted many times and not gotten a reply, From time to time been poked fun at for my dedication to a gen 1. I don't know how many gen 2 guys that drove gen 1 cars are still active on the board. Get the feeling that some gen 2 people are not interested in gen 1 cars.I have heard from a few gen 1 guys that are frustrated with the forum as it relates the cars.

Not looking for permission from the gen 2 community (big brother). Interested in opinions, many opinions.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.... The Gen 1-2 overlap somewhat. Gen 3 is fine on it's own.

P.S. get rid of where it says VGX on the Gen 3 heading. Too confusing. I even forgot what VGX is.... is it a disease you can catch while lurking at the A ll ey? ;)

Kill the performance mod category.

I'm done.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, go ahead and do it. :grin I think it's a great idea. The Gen1 cars are the grass roots of the Viper, and deserve a seperate forum of their own. It would be a great idea to have a place to ask tech questions and find them "no longer available" DC parts that we have to chase down now and then. I'm sure we Gen1 owners would love it. :2tu:

Red 94 RT/10

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should do a static page for GEN I parts/service info if that is what you need. A seperate forum will make everyone lose out on little tidbits of precious info.

Its already anoying how on 3 seperate forums I see the same post.. people are doing that with the all ey as well.

I think the "performance modifications" forum should be eliminated and just part of the Gen I/II and Gen 3 forum.

Reaction score
Thanks to all so far. :) It has been my experience that there is a fine line between having things more organized....and the extra time involved while posting. Trust me when I say that several people (my, MP, others) have tried to brainstorm (NO jokes here!! :) ) how to accomplish this.

Finding the elusive "happy medium" has haunted me for years. On one hand...I like organization, separate forums for separate issues/models/etc.

On the other hand...I would like to see things made easier...not harder, and trust me when I say that there is a number of peole who believe that spreading everything out makes things harder (and they have a right to believe that...cause it does make sense). :)

Please, do not take my comments as any indication of what I want to do, or will do. I am merely throwing out issues/comments/questions/concerns that I have already seen in the past. :)

I guess part of me wants to say this...so I'll just be out with it. Jeff knows me...I'm kinda likeable, and easy going...so I don't mean this with any malice:

The problem, as I see it, is that a separate forum WILL work...but it NEEDS the support of those who want/need it. I can't very well ask people to direct their questions to the GEN I forum...if there is nobody answering the questions. Do you see where I am going with this? It has been my experience that, for the most part, all of you (our board members) have done a great job of STARTING in the right place....but the inactivity has lead peole to "give up" and post in another forum.

I think that sums up my main concern. Lastly...I'll add that most of the peole here (myself included, and not meant in a mean way...it is just the nature of things) do not like change. :) I vow to work with you guys, covering all the bases, to help. :)

Good idea KepRght! Someone just posted, recently, about some sticky FAQ type threads. What about a GEN i sticky, filled with as much info as people think it needs...and the same for a GEB II sticky???

I'm just throwing out bones....hoping something will stir out there and a GREAT idea will emerge. Mine have been average so far. :)

I gotta cook dinner for my sick teen...so I ain't checking spelling! :)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that there would be enough Gen1 owners who would be able to help & answer questions.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this site, being a new gen.1 owner, I look for ideas and answers to questions to learn as much as I can about this awesome car so I can work on it myself.(lack of funds) I find I spend alot of time searchin' through the posts only to get answers like "take to the dealer, still under warranty, Tator can help ya", etc. I don't mind surfin' the rest of the site, it's fun reading all the various topics. I think it would speed up finding answers if there are any. :2tu:

btw, maybe if the search system worked more efficient, most of what I just said would be cured. :D

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermad....Your concern about items being posted in other forums is definitly something to be concerned about.There are many of us Viper owners out here who don't have the knowledge to repair our cars ourselves (myself included) and are up to repairing minor things It's important to me to learn what to do or how to do it. Just recently I had an Idle problem when stopping and the car dying and thanks to some members of this Forum they solved my problem telling me exactly what to do. My DC dealer said bring it in and "We'll hook it up to the computer". Do you trust your local DC dealer with your Viper in small town USA? We are not fortunate enough to have a Tator's or Woodhouse etc in our area. I have used the How To forum(this really needs to be expanded) section a few times to fix things.The GenI forum will definitely be a help on problems/questions/concerns pretaining to specific GenI cars problems i.e the dreaded head gaskets. Do away with the Grand AM and FAQ forums they are not used anyway and create a GenI forum. :) As many have said on here "build it and we shall come". I'm sure the GenII and III guys/gals will read it also and give their input. Be it Gen I/II/III we ALL are Viper owners. Well that's my 02 worth. Hope your teen gets to feeling better. :2tu: Thanks, Ken

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that. The gen ones and twos are similar in many respects and much information is shared. John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960