Show me (or tell me) what aftermarket stereo headunit you have

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't take this stock tape player any more. What do you experts recommend for a head unit and speakers? If you could provide specifics that would be great. Model number and what size speakers so I know what to buy. Thanks!

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nat, I think that we have the same head unit. I am also interested in replacing it. If any of you know if current models will plug in play, please let us know.

I upgraded my speakers to 6 1/2" Sony Xplods in all four holes. The fit is not outstanding but serviceable. They matched the red/silver theme for the car, but the sound quality upgrade is marginable. I also added a Sony 12 disc changer that controls nicely from the head unit.

If you are an audio-phile, you probably know speakers better than I do. I don't recommend the lower-end Sony's. With the top off, I need to turn it up a bit and the sound breaks up.

Keep us posted on your progress.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an Eclipse head unit. It fit in perfectly with no modification. I also upgraded my speaker to Diamond Audio. They also fit in the stock locations.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the new Clarion head unit in my '94. Its the perfect one for Gen. 1's bec., although it is updated, it still has a look that matches the car. Being that we both dont have GTS, you have to be careful that you dont add a system that is too flashy for the car. Also, this head features a light color selector, I found and orange/red that exactly matches the interior lights on the car. It also features this new music catcher, you can digitally store 200 tracks in the unit off of your cd's. With this added, the stock speakers sound much, much better...in fact I am thinking about just keeping them.

1KoolAsp 14TA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey stock justb doesnt cut it i went alpine mp3 xm you got to go xm cant listen to reg radio infinity speackers all around and amps front and rear.thats it and cranks load and clear.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
panasonic CD/DVD in dash 7" screen. nice unit. getting rid of it for different one (basic CD player), i dont want DVD capabilities anymore.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got a sony xplod head unit...gives off 50W x 4. sony xplods in the doors and between the seats. Doesnt sound bad.
With the top off and sidepipes, i think its really tough to get any good stereo sound.
i'll check the model # of it & email it to you - reasonably priced too - around $300 i think

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the scoop:
Pretty much any 'DIN-E' (standard) will fit with no problems. Make sure it's got front/rear RCA outputs and you're good to go.
Remove the old amps and replace. It's a must. For the brave; replace the RCA wiring. Good luck on that in an RT/10 from what I'm told...

Mike

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just swapped out the stock head unit with an Alpine CDA-7995. I mostly upgraded to get the MP3 capability because it's a pain carrying around CDs.

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
head unit, go for an alpine for the iva 901, running zapco amp, focal 27wx sub and focal 165w up front. awesome sound.

chan

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently using a Linux PC in the dash, known as a Riocar or Empeg. It's got a 20gb hard drive with all of my digital music collection behind a great user interface.

I've got a 10" Kicker in the passenger floorboard in a custom box behind a footshield. Polk 6" mids in the doors. Rockford Fosgate 300x2 amp in the trunk. Sounds great, even over a Borla 3" exhaust and RandomTech hiflows, though other Viper owners have teased me, "If you're listenin' to the radio, you're not drivin' fast enough".

I was about to mount a micro-pc under the passenger seat so I can gain GPS navigation, a browser with bluetooth and WiFi for weather and traffic data, realtime display of OBDII data, and perhaps even accelerometer data for the track, but I'm not fond of how much space a 7" touchscreen takes up with a permanent dash mount, and none of the motorized DIN touchscreens are to my liking just yet.

-Nick Diaz
Red '02 RT/10

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Previous owner invested $3K in the sound system.
Kenwood Excellon for most components.
The head unit is a 'black face', so one can hardly even notice the car has a sound system - untill it is activated :)
All speakers got upgraded, the middle ones disconnected, and a huge subwoofer was placed in the footwel.
Despite the car having no cats, I'm still able to overpower the sound of the exhaust note. It's more like a club on wheels.

OP
OP
N

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
panasonic CD/DVD in dash 7" screen. nice unit. getting rid of it for different one (basic CD player), i dont want DVD capabilities anymore.

I got your email before I saw what you posted here. I think that's a little too "high end" for me and my wallet. Thanks for getting in touch with me though.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alpine 9815. Plays mp3/wma. You can fit a *LOT* of songs on one disk in wma format. Deck is high powered (clean power), although I am using a PG 475Ti for the front speakers.

99BLKRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my top off I just turned off the stereo on the highway. It just wasn't worth it with the stock deck. So I spent one whole weekend ripping it all out and installing a 50x4 Sony deck. It was a pain in the a$$ to re-run RCA cables to the trunk but WELL worth it.

So now I have the new deck, 10" sub in passenger footwell, new 6.5" kicker door speakers, and a KICK A$$ system that rocks! Also, there is no rattle from the speaker floorboard area. I even have the sub firing up! If you upgrade your deck make sure you get at least a 50x4 watt. Mine rocks without an extra amp!

Good luck! It sure was an adventure for me...

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Eclipse head unit and MB Quart speakers. The speakers were a little more expensive, but well worth it.
You must be registered for see images

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eclipse CD8443

This it the top-of-the-line headunit from the best out there...

It rocks...

PS-Call a Tweeter Retail Store or visit one to purchase. You can't order online.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eclipse is verra-nice, but not removeable/hidden face (at least not last year), and their security guarantee is not valid on open-top cars. Sure they're code-protected, but I wouldn't trust the average street cretin to know that...

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy it on ebay for a few hundred less :0

Mike

Wow! A few hundred less?!?! :rolleyes:

From what I see, "buy it now" on these are $379.99 and there is one with 1 day+ remaining at $325.00. Tweeter retail is $419.99...

Let's see...$419.99-$379.99=$40.00. Point me to where you see these for "a few hundred less" and I will buy them all.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Eclipse head unit and MB Quart speakers. The speakers were a little more expensive, but well worth it.

Have any close-ups of the trunk?? Looks like a very clean install. :2tu:

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some more pics. I'm not recommending this for the faint of heart. I'm glad with the results.

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not own a Viper but I have just recently had a nice sound quality type system installed in my 03 Impala. Since you obviously do not have rear speakers I will not mention them. In the front I purchased the JL Audio XR650Cxi. These are the 6.5 inch speakers with the tweeter mounted in the center of the mid driver. You can get the same speaker with seperate tweeter to be mounted else where, but then you are talking about cutting a hole or drilling a hole to mount them. The speakers are the top-of-the-line JL series, they retail (at places like Tweeter) for 250-300, I got them on ebay for $174 buy it now. Brand new never opened not refurbished. I also have the JBL PX300.4 600watt amp running all 4 speakers. This is an amazing amp with plenty of switches and dials to tune the system. The amp's msrp is a little over $500 I think, and I got it off of ebay new unopened ect ect. for $244. The over all sound quality is amazing and it is plenty loud, enough so that it can be to loud to stay in the car. In total I have about $550 in the sound system, which is about half of retail, and I am extremely happy with the results. If you are not an audiophile and are not going to compete I think that this system would be plenty for you. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Side note: From what I have seen when I was researching my system, Tweeter is quite a bit overpriced and I have also heard bad things about their installs. Just an FYI

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy it on ebay for a few hundred less :0

Mike

Wow! A few hundred less?!?! :rolleyes:

From what I see, "buy it now" on these are $379.99 and there is one with 1 day+ remaining at $325.00. Tweeter retail is $419.99...

Let's see...$419.99-$379.99=$40.00. Point me to where you see these for "a few hundred less" and I will buy them all.

Ah, you got me. Right now the bid is at $255.00

If someone wins it at that price, it is still not for a few hundred less. BUT ( I have to add my BUT ) you said you could not get it online. I proved that you can.

So if I proved you wrong once, I can probably prove you wrong again. And then I could duplicate it. :)

Sorry. You are right, it is not a "few hundred less".

But, why did you give me an eye roll? Why could you not just ask the question without the eye roll?

I think it is a power issue. Is it? I am giving you eye rolls right now, but I get no satisfaction from these eye rolls.I just get a headache.

Don't bother defending your statement. I am an idiot. I acknowledge it.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine