Side Pipes on a '96?

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side Pipes on a \'96?

Is it possible to add side pipes to a '96 so that it looks *exactly* like factory side pipes from the Gen 1 cars? I've seen a modified '96 with side pipes, and it looked good, but not as good as the ones from the factory.

The problem I have is that I like the fascia/hood/engine from Gen II cars, but the side pipes from the Gen 1.

So, is it possible, and if so, how difficult/costly?

Thanks

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Side Pipes on a \'96?

i saw a blue gts at Tooofst's event last week that did this conversion and it looked/sounded amazing, best [******] alteration ive ever seen, they should have never stopped the side pipes
i think his screen name is KingSnake. ToooFst would know

Im doing this conversion this winter

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, possible. You can have it so it looks just like the Gen Is, may be just a replacement with the Gen II side sills. Or you can have it so you have an exhaust hole cut out of the sill.

OP
OP
W

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the pic. That is *exactly* the look I want. You wouldn't have his contact information available by chance, would you? I'm curious as to exactly what the conversion entails.

Thanks.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pretty easy mod in my experience...

233Viper_at_Devils_Tower-med.JPG

As you undoubtedly know, exhaust already runs down the side of the car. Add a bullet muffler after the cat and add a turnout on each side. You'll also need to relocate the O2 sensor bungs and lengthen the rear O2 sensor wires just a bit... (At least I did on my 98 Gen II, 96 may not have the rear sensors - I don't know.) Cost for this work is pretty minimal ( ~$250?) at a competent muffler shop - or a DIY job if you have the skills / tools.

The more costly part is the side sills... I went with stock Gen I side sills. Bolt right up, but I had to have mine painted to match. 4 yrs ago, I found a set for $1800, but in another post ViperWizard suggested prices have gone up since then. Perhaps JonB can hook you up with a used / take-off set for less.

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California

Is it possible to add side pipes to a '96 so that it looks *exactly* like factory side pipes from the Gen 1 cars? I've seen a modified '96 with side pipes, and it looked good, but not as good as the ones from the factory.

The problem I have is that I like the fascia/hood/engine from Gen II cars, but the side pipes from the Gen 1.

So, is it possible, and if so, how difficult/costly?

Thanks
Wilbrik, I am with you on the side pipes. I am just getting my first viper and although it is a 99 I may very well add the side pipes too. If you do a search I am sure you will get lots of info. I asked the same thing a couple of weeks ago and got some helpful responses. Some folks say the side pipes don't sound as good and the noise gets overbearing after awhile but my gen 1 experience did not produce negative sound issues. IMO, it is hard to get a great exhaust note from the v10. I am hoping I just have not heard the right setup, but so far, in the 8 to 10 cars whose exhuast note I have really heard a bit, it is not what I was hoping for in terms of killer sound. Are there any SF bay area Viper owners with side or rear exhaust that are really stoked on their sound that would let me come have a listen?