Side Sill Heat Resolved with pictures

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the air get out the other side?

Also, it seems that area is going to receive much of the water displaced by the front tire in a rainstorm. Is it a good idea for water to be sprayed into your side sill?

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a great design. Probably would look better with a black high heat paint covering it. Is it on both sides of the side sills, front and back. Also who would drive their Viper in a rainstorm?

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although I am not worried about rain going in the side sill, I am worried about paying $189 for four pieces of screen. It just seems a little high, maybe I don't understand what all is involved

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same on mine. Used gutter screen though. Have about 40 cents in the mod.

EDIT: Not to take away from yours. Yours look really nice.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To answer your questions:

1. The screens vent the front of the sill and allows the air to exit out the rear of the panel where the exhaust
turns to exit from the rear of the car. There is no modification to the rear of the panel.

2. You can drive the car in the rain but you will get some
steam exiting from the vents.

3. As you can see the screens are made from all stainless
steel, hand fabricated, tig welded and supplied with all stainless hardware. The product reflects the quality a 80k
car deserves. The price only reflects about a 10% markup which is more than fair.

Please feel free to contact us for product information.

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and how dramatic is the heat difference. I can see benefit while driving but what happens in traffic?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mr. Cragin,

May I suggest using a Multi-level baffle system? 3 levels whould be enough. It would prevent water entry, while still permiting airflow.

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have tried a couple variations of this, unfortunately a baffle system cuts down on the airflow dramatically. While driving, the heat reduction is significant. When stopped the vents allow the radiant heat to escape.

To completely eliminate the heat from the cockpit and reduce the side panel temps to the point that you can touch the panels comfortably after a hard run, we recommend our Inconel heat shields.

For product information, we are now updating our thermal products section of our web page.

silverten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the screen that you used? Thanks.

Chris Moore

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job Dan! Once hte GTS is out of trailer prison when the weather turns, I may just have to opt for them.

While $189 may seem high compared to buying gutter screens...look at how nicely they are made.

I assume that one would need to drill and install with rivets or other hardware?

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Great idea, I don't care how much they cost, but I was thinking of leaf debris etc. building up inside the side sill area. I wonder if it would build up enough to ignite? Price is great, I know how much it takes first hand to get a product to market. Unless you can sell 1,000+ units, the cost always seems more than something you could pick up at OSH that costs a couple of bucks made overseas. So would you be able to blow out debris from time to time with an air hose?

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper Joe,
I have not received any personal messages or e-mail messages
from you (I just checked this on my PM and e-mail). You can reach me at 310-841-6996, my e-mail address is [email protected]. Please call me anytime M-F 8:00AM-8:00PM at the office. Every message is important to me,
so please call. Maybe you have my incorrect contact information.