Side Sill heat shield insulation

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took off the sills this weekend and noticed a couple areas that have either
burned away or tore off...

Is there a "home depot fix" or material you can use to patch an area, like using aluminum foil or ???

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear Roe Racing has a product, might still be in development but I'd call Sean. Another vendor had that real expensive inconel steel shields. Most others catch on fire after being installed.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that the exhaust coming out of the heads is around the 1250 deg mark. Does anyone know what the temperature is at the Cats?

Tim

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock cat skin temp runs around 800F with 1000F possible under load. Internal cat gas temps run as hot as 1350F.

Any wonder our sills run hot?

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have cats, so I think my temps would be alot less at the collector. I think I am going to use header wrap on the piping in the sill.

Anyone done that?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Most others catch on fire after install". That would not be much fun at all.

The stock parts and the Inconel parts that Dan Cragin carries cost about the same.

I bought the wrap offered by Roe Racing. It does work pretty well... fits around the exhaust, attaches with some steel Zip Ties. When the car is moving air is circulated over the exhaust to keep the temps under control. Its after you park it that the sills heat up the most. With the exhaust wrapped in insulation it unfortunatly takes longer for the system to cool down. Potentially resulting in the paint discoloring on the side sills. I am told that high flow cats or no cats at all will help to control the high temps.

I bought some foil wrapped insulation from JC Whitney. It looks just like the stock stuff under the carpets. Says its good to 800 or 900 degrees, so thats not an option.

Unfortunatly I think the best solution is to either get stock parts or call Dan Cragin.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot some ceramic insulation on the inside of the sills when you pull them off, keeps them cooler and protects the paint. Spray your frame members behind the cat to reduce heat transfer to the cockpit. If you ever drive the car with the sills off, say at the track, you will find the lowered heat level remarkable.

OP
OP
B

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paul, where can you buy ceramic insulation? Is it an automotive, industrial or houshold product/material? What kind of heat can it take?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try McMaster Carr. I got some hight heat insulation from them a while ago. I made my own ball joint boot covers, been on the track, worked great!

732 329 3200

Andrew

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The inconnel is awesome, and very nice looking. I significantly reduced the temp on the interior of my car, the side sill and of the incoming a/c temperature.

I did a header shield, inner and outer sill shields plus a tube that covers the entire side exhaust then the "factory type" inconnel goes in too. The difference is amazing.

You will always have heat soak when the car gets parked, but my car used to get to the point that my wife didn't want to cruise because it got so hot on the side by your legs. Now that stays cool to the touch and much more heat exits the car at the rear. I moved my tips out another 2" to get the heat away from the rear fascia since so much more is exiting the rear with all the shielding I have.

The inconnel is used in Indy car applications, military applications. Good for like 2000 degrees F sustained temp.

My factory insulation, a low grade of stainless...not aluminum...melted through at the cats and the fiberglass inside was melted too. That crap was virtually useless for heat insulating when I removed it. I heard that the factory stuff starts to break down in a few thousand miles.

Talk to some of the people that installed the inconnel in California and you will find out it is the most trick stuff you can buy. The price of the raw material is very high, and the quality of the custom pieces is awesome...thus the price is high.

However, if it keeps my car from breaking down components like plastics and paint color, a few thousand dollars is cheap.

I ran bellanger headers without heat shields, bull crap. Listen to Viper Wizard Chuck and install heat shields. Do your car a favor.

Just my personal experience and opinion.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my cats ceramic coated inside and out, actually the entire run from headers to the rear muffler and that helps quite a bit. However I still had to run OEM insulation in the sill after a few months without it the heat soak on shutoff after a hard run yellowed up the sills pretty good.

After a needed anyways repaint and putting back the OEM insulation all is good, cockpit while still warm in 90 degree heat is nothing close to OEM cats not coated.