SILL HEAT/ ROE RACING SILL INSULATION

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 01 GTS with corsa exhaust from original cats back.I installed Roe's insulation blanket on one side, removing factory insulation from sill panel only and left the other side stock, idled for 30 minutes and Roe's side felt cooler.Next day I drove for 45 minutes in town in 70 degree weather.When I checked sills Roe's side was noticeably hotter from front to back.Anyone have any Ideas? I'm not sure what to do!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the whole side sill insulation concept is not nearly as effective as it is sometimes claimed to be. I have it (Roe's) and my sills are just as hot as ever, and thats with hi flo cats and Corsa exhaust.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the Roe insulation but kept the factory insulation also installed. Notable drop in heat on a 2000 GTS with hi flow cats.

L8apx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have Roe + factory + high flow cats + no resonators = no heat problems whatsoever.

ucfpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i also have the roe insulation + side sill vents from dc performance. there is a big difference in temp. i have to say it is about 50% cooler.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Roe wrap and a high temp coating on the sills. With this combo I got them to hot and had a paint bubble.

I then took them back off and put on some reflective heat shielding on top of the high temp coating. Used a hightemp glue. With this combo they still get hot around the cat area (high flows) but not hot enough to cause any more heat bubbles. I also cut a vent hole in my front wheel well (not in pics) but the hole is not very big.

The nice thing about this, no extra rivots holding heat shields....

If I had to do it over I would go with the air flow thought. Air flow is the only way to cool the area. Stuffing the wrap in there is hindering air flow and holding heat in. My next thing I was going to try was the high temp coating with the roe insuclation cut and glued to the sill and the reflective stuff wrapped around the roe insulation. This would have a nice open area around the pipes for air flow. Add a vent in the wheel well, bam!

8631PDR_0681-med.JPG

8631PDR_0682-med.JPG

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car sits you get heat soak and the insulation will retain the heat in the exhaust longer. I have it on my Gen3.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an 01 GTS with corsa exhaust from original cats back.I installed Roe's insulation blanket on one side, removing factory insulation from sill panel only and left the other side stock, idled for 30 minutes and Roe's side felt cooler.Next day I drove for 45 minutes in town in 70 degree weather.When I checked sills Roe's side was noticeably hotter from front to back.Anyone have any Ideas? I'm not sure what to do!

Darryl you said you removed the stock insulation? WRONG!! You need to leave the stock shielding in place and the Roe insulation/blanket gets tied to your exhaust. BOTH insulations are used! Then you will notice the heat loss.

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worried about the factory insulation,but had a hard time getting sill on and was worried about damaging it. I'll put it back in!I assume some extra bit of pressure is required to get the sill back on? Thanks for all the input!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worried about the factory insulation,but had a hard time getting sill on and was worried about damaging it. I'll put it back in!I assume some extra bit of pressure is required to get the sill back on? Thanks for all the input!

Yes it is a tight fit but it will work. When we install Roe's insulation we wrap almost all the way around the exhaust, leaving about a two inch gap at the bottom. That seems to work the best for fit and it allows for a little air flow. Heat goes up!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent post here concerning sill insulation and the Roe pad, but my lazy *** wou't look for it sorry.

Guy did readings with a heat gun. He used factory sill pad and roe pad. If I recall as it sat, heat soak made it actually HOTTER. With the extra pad it STAYED hotter for much longer than with just the stock pad.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat needs someplace to go. Insulation only delays the inevitable. Get airflow in the sills and around the cats and you'll solve your problem.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point is to get the heat to come out of the exhaust pipes in the rear of the car and these guys will solve all your problems. Works better than any roe insulation or anything else out there.

Check them out at http://www.atpwrap.com/viper.htm

Funny i just posted a thread about this.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$5K for that kit is "Viper TAx" at its finest. The solution to cooler side sills is simple. Air flow people! We run the same system on all our Viper race cars. You need to get air flowing through the side sills. Vent the side sills. You can cut the area right behind the front wheel well and replace it with Stainless steel mesh. If you are worries about looks then paint the mesh black. You can do the same with the rear portion of the side sill. Air will flow through the side sill and the temps will be significantly lower.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$5K for that kit is "Viper TAx" at its finest. The solution to cooler side sills is simple. Air flow people! We run the same system on all our Viper race cars. You need to get air flowing through the side sills. Vent the side sills. You can cut the area right behind the front wheel well and replace it with Stainless steel mesh. If you are worries about looks then paint the mesh black. You can do the same with the rear portion of the side sill. Air will flow through the side sill and the temps will be significantly lower.

you guys are running your cars at high speeds with out any traffic. Try sitting in traffic with 90+ weather. I dont think youll be gitting much air flow at that point to cool things off.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$5K that is more then "Viper Tax"!!!! Any lube comes with that price? :bonker:

Jonathan you are right, air flow is what is needed to get rid of the heat but the FEW Viper owners that drive in the rain, the water that may go through the front vent and splash the exhaust system WILL destroy a cat in time! :evilmad:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the stock system (heat shield, side sills etc) and the GTS got very very hot!

Colored side sills (silver turns brown!)

High Flow Cats and a 3" Corsa solved the heat problem.

Much cooler.

My RT/10 will get the HF-cats for the same reason soooooooooooooooon!

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually took my roe insulation out because I thought it seemed like the sills were hotter or stayed hot longer and now am running with stock heat sheilding again.

FLX109

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point is to get the heat to come out of the exhaust pipes in the rear of the car and these guys will solve all your problems. Works better than any roe insulation or anything else out there.

Check them out at http://www.atpwrap.com/viper.htm

Funny i just posted a thread about this.

Holly crap, thats expensive unless the compe coupe comes with the kit, then Ill take 5

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High flow cats/exhaust is the best way to go to reduce side sill heat. Worked for me! Thanks Chuck!

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wanted to vent mine but when I installed the Random Tech high flow cats and cat back exhaust the muffler in their kit was so large I had to push the cover on over it, leaving no room for air to move around it. I don't know why that muffler had to be that big?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By surrounding the cat with whatever you can think of that forces the insulation back.

I used a wavy steel screen like material to wrap the cat, (to provide a path for airflow) then surrounded that with Nexel Ceramic insulating cloth.

I'm not freezing water on my sills now, but certainly not frying eggs anymore either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery