Simulated Car Alarm Light & Driving Record

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought a 94' RT/10 conv. yesterday. A couple questions for the minds of the forum please:

1) My car has the factory alarm on it, but no red blinking light to deter would be trouble-makers. Does anyone know where you can purchase one of those little "fake" red car alarm looking lights that blink?

2) Where can I get a look at my driver's license record without tipping off my insurance company as to tickets I might have?

Thanks.

Rollo

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pep boys has the light you looking for. They also sell the club and fuzzy dice. If someone wants your car the little light wont make any difference.

Steve

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the fake blinking light at Radio Shack, I think it has a modulator and some wires, something like $10.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rollospec, and All,
I have "fake" red blinking lights in all my cars, including the Viper. I just did it last week.
Here is what to do:
1. Go to a electronics store (Radio shack is OK, but I preferred a electronics store).
2. Ask for a 12V Blinking Diode.
3. Now, I thought it blinked a little too bright, so installed a 300 ohm resister to reduce the blink to about 9V. This is not critical 300 - 600 ohm resistance is OK.
4. Now the tricky part to wire it to blink with Ignition OFF, and not blink with the car running (ignition on).
Connect one wire (with the resistor, if used) to + 12 Volts (hot all the time). Connect the other wire to a + 12 Volts with ignition ON ONLY . I found this available from a blank position in the fuse block. (Fuse cavity # 10 on my '96 RT10).
5. I mounted mine in the console, just under the radio, a small hole. The blinking diode I purchased was self contained with mounting nut and nice looking flange. It is about 1/8 inch diameter bulb. Wish I had a digital camera (soon) , I would show the mounting.
OH, this cost about $2.50 at the electronics store, the resistors are about $.10 (10 cents) each. These draw about 20 milliamps, so forget about battery drawdown.

How does this work, connected this way??
When the ignition is OFF, the light will blink because the +12V source is available (one wire), and the other wire (connected to the +12V ignition ON only) acts as the ground.
When the ignition is ON, both wires have +12V potential (flowing), thus they cancel and react as if the wires were connected to NOTHING (will not blink).

These diodes can be obtained from:
Supertronics Inc.
16550 W. Valley Hwy.
Tukwila, WA, 98188
(425) 251-8484

The shipping might cost more than the diode.

I'm not sure I should do this, but (I may be sorry), I can go and get a number of these if you want me to get them and send them to you. There is no weight , and should be able to be sent to anyone (USA) for $5.00-$7.00 total including the diode.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ruck et all-

Thanks for the info. Obviously I don't expect a $6.99 fake alarm light to stop someone from stealing my Viper, but it may deter a rookie trouble maker. If someone actually steals it, I pay $100, then get a check for $43,000 from my insurance company. I am not the type to get emotionally attached to any one vehicle. I will love and take great care of my Snake, but if it gets stolen, I won't have any problem getting another!

On that note, I just came back from Pep Boys with my "Wireless Flashing LED Warning Module" for the above stated bargain price of $6.99. Granted, it looks like it cost that much. Hopefully I can place it somewhere around the console so it can be seen at night by passersby. It is a little black box about 2.5" long, takes 2 x AAA batteries, and has self-adhesive and a little switch to turn it on.

Thanks for the tip, Steve-

Rollo

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
phiebert
I had a C-60 Viper alarm installed with a proxy sensor. I had the proxy sensor set on the inside of where your forearm would be on the center console while you're holding the stickshift. The alarm is the one that says..."Protected by Viper, stand back" Gerald always makes fun of me and says it's dumb, but too late for that. I also had the proxy sensor wired to the "dead switch" (at least here in Florida), the switch to the right of the fog lights switch. This allows me to connect/disconnect the proxy sensor when i want to. If you want to know what wires to cut, let me know, i'll go and look for you. I hope this helps!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, that's brilliant, love the way you got the electrics on ignition off, I'm going to use that someday!

On a similar topic, has anyone been able to attach a proximity detector to their Viper factory security system. Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to have the system chirp when someone leans in too close. I have had stuff stolen out of the car by the little buggers just unzipping the window and reaching in. That doesn't set off the alarm but if you have long arms you can still grab the radar detector, etc. I'm hoping that if they reach in and the alarm chirps, they'll take off.