Since the official Gen V debut is near, lets talk Gen 3-4 values

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully the world will get to see the Gen V concept next week at VOI, and if so, lets look into the future to see what prices are going to do.

All indications are this upcoming car will be a badazz/game-changer etc, but what will happen with our SRT cars? I really anticipate Gen III cars to immediately start dropping in value, and Gen IV cars will start to decrease...of course, the market will eventually be flooded with people trying to upgrade, and they will be available on the cheap too. I wonder how long that will take?

Am I completely off base here? I'm not wishing for any tanking values...just trying to be objective here:drive:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Gen III values will drop...as will the Gen IV's - no surprise there. Even if the Vipers were discontinued, the values in the short term will continue to drop.

Not a horrible thing as I would like to add a Gen IV to the collection.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V is at least two years away from being available to buy. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
still think that GEN3 and 4 Prices will hold steady if not increase a smidge, then when and if the GEN5 comes out they will see a modest drop. Gotta remember that for a year or two there will be no viper.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has noticed the following...

18 months ago i was looking at srt's and you could get LOTS of 2003's for 36-41K and LOTS of 2008s for 59-64K..

But now when I look the 2003's are 38-43K and the 2008's are 65-70K

am I the only one who noticed this..As well you could see like 25 2003's and 15 2008's for sale on Ebay 18 months agao..Now it's like 8 2003's and 5-6 2008's....

Again maybe it's my imagination but I swear they have went up in value...

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have found that prices have stabilized. With Dodge looking more viable I have seen my customers getting better value for properly prepared and serviced cars!

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that the biggest gap developed between Gen 3 and 4 with the added 100 HP BUT when comparing what ACTUALLY is selling on Ebay, the 08's are in the lower 60 to high 50's, ( on the Viper site they are a lot higher asking prices !!) , some 09's are the same as 08's, and I think most cars built in late 2009 and 2010 are right now for sale on Ebay !! the 06's really aren't bringing much to the table seems to be in the upper 40's with the lower HP and they are all out of regular warranty, when buying a used Viper a warranty is very desireable, there has recently been several 1992 's on Ebay and they don't even get a bid...just my $.02 and observations

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has noticed the following...

18 months ago i was looking at srt's and you could get LOTS of 2003's for 36-41K and LOTS of 2008s for 59-64K..

But now when I look the 2003's are 38-43K and the 2008's are 65-70K

am I the only one who noticed this..As well you could see like 25 2003's and 15 2008's for sale on Ebay 18 months agao..Now it's like 8 2003's and 5-6 2008's....

Again maybe it's my imagination but I swear they have went up in value...

The entire used car market is much stronger than it was 18 months ago and late model vipers have followed suit. All the trade publications continue to show charts and graphs reflecting a huge lift in prices. Last week in Automotive News I read a comment from one of the major retail chains, "a year or so ago at the auctions there used to be 100 dealers bidding on 500 cars, now there's 500 dealers try to bid on 100 cars".

As for the future of Gen III's and IV's, who knows? If the total overhaul the Gen V with upgraded interior, electronics and a 700 hp motor, MSRP $125K or more? Can't help but lift older vipers.

I like the coment from Shaun Bailey in the recent Road & Track; "there is one thing for certain, there will never be another production car this raw and unhinged again."

I think clean vipers will hold strong re-sale value.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many 2008 and '09's were made compared to 2003-'06's? Not many. I would hardly call that "flooding" the market--even if they were ALL sold, if the GenV came out ON TIME, the performance WAS there as promised, that people were NOT afraid of the new Gen break-in blues, the new corporate management did NOT screw up the design, people COULD affor them, etc, etc.

Ultimately, there are too many IF's to pose your question now. But regardless, with a total of 1579 2008's built, and less than half of that # in 2009, the chances of our cars "flooding" anything are remote. We are in a better position to hold resale than any other Gen.

Besides there are still 8k 2003-2006's out there.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure there are 8000 Gen III's out there? Per the Viper Registry a total of 8186 Gen IIIs were produced. I would guess that there are far less now based on the number of wrecks we read about. For every wreck we read about there is probably at least one more if not a greater number. The insurance industry probably has the actual figures in their research data base. Does anyone know them?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just another wait and see game. Lots of guesses with nobody knowing for sure. Here is a link from the CEO of Fiat. He never mentions the Viper but as he described the upcoming Chrysler cars, not sure I like what he had to say.
2012 Dodge Viper Shown to Dealers

Last edited:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure there are 8000 Gen III's out there? Per the Viper Registry a total of 8186 Gen IIIs were produced. I would guess that there are far less now based on the number of wrecks we read about. For every wreck we read about there is probably at least one more if not a greater number. The insurance industry probably has the actual figures in their research data base. Does anyone know them?

No not sure. I know that a little over 8k were made, but you are correct. May be fewer on the street now. Still, my point was a large number compared to Gen IV's.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am intrigued by the thought of a new generation Viper but until I see it and see some stats I am holding steady. Not only is it going to be hard to beat the current Viper stats, let alone the records posted by the ACR, I really have a hard time believing that FIAT is going to produce a car that will crush any of their existing "Super cars". My guess is the styling will be decent but I have no confidence in the direction of the Viper itself. Lastly with the move to throttle by wire in the GenIV, I think the viper lost something. I can only speculate what it is going to lose in the next generation.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot find the post but someone who was at Orlando posted that the mockup had vents behind the doors. Here is a photo of the 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO. Notice the vents behind the doors. Also notice the placement of the hood vents - look familiar? I think we are going to see something that has similar design cues with a slightly higher rear end and perhaps a hint of more curves. If we do - wow!

You must be registered for see images

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man I wish I could swing a gen IV, but I would hav e to sell my ZO6 and gen III
To do it. And thats not happening an.ytime soon. But the futured is near.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem with the assumption that the new Viper will be based on the GTO is that Ralph himself was quoted on several occasions saying that the new viper will not share any parts from Fiat aside from some technology. I think it was in Viper mag a few issues back.

I cannot find the post but someone who was at Orlando posted that the mockup had vents behind the doors. Here is a photo of the 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO. Notice the vents behind the doors. Also notice the placement of the hood vents - look familiar? I think we are going to see something that has similar design cues with a slightly higher rear end and perhaps a hint of more curves. If we do - wow!

You must be registered for see images

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's all about supply-demand-and comparative pricing. There will always be a gap between the gen 3 and gen 4 just like gen 1 and gen 2. If the gen 5 is 125k it will have little or no affect on current vipers values. If its a little better all around and 85k then we would see a drop. To over exaggerate my point how much affect do the think the ford GT had on mustang values? Two different markets.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXACTLY but i dont think Dodge will try to sell a Viper in the 125 range as its an entirely different ballgame over 100k(VERY VERY few are going to pay that amount for a Dodge with no amenitys ,electronic gadgets ect ) .My guess is a 90k Gen 5 which will inturn depreciate the Gen 4 (much like the Gen 4 depreciated the Gen 3 when they came out )

Take a look at the ACR's they start at over $111K and the special editions, FE, 1:33 list at $112-$113K or more.

A no-option convertible lists for $96K

Your dreaming if you think a new bodied V-10 viper will list for $90K

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think we'll see a drop in gen III/gen IV prices since many guys will sell and the market will be flooded so that they can get a gen V.

I won't be selling my gen IV for a gen V. I'll just buy a gen V and keep the good stuff I already have. But you can darn well bet I'll be one of the first in line for a gen V (assuming Dodge maintains the "viperness" of the car)

edit: regarding pricing. If we get what we asked for in the thread about improving the Viper, it will necessarily be priced closer to 110k and it will STILL be a deal.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the ACR's they start at over $111K and the special editions, FE, 1:33 list at $112-$113K or more.

A no-option convertible lists for $96K

Your dreaming if you think a new bodied V-10 viper will list for $90K
Really the special additions Gen 3 were MORE than a Gen 4 (Not to mention ABSOLUTELY no one paid ANYWHERE near sticker on a Gen 4 )Anytime you get in the 125 grand range that car had better have an alum frame carb fiber brakes ,first class interior ,plus ever electronic gizmo out there.It also had better have a great ride fantastic paint ect.Its a totally different ballgame in that range .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a ZR-1 for example at 120 grand (car has EVERY TOP LINE FEATURE OUT THERE )after 500 sold the price tanked .(Right now dealers are going into the holdback to move them )At 125 you into Ford GT territory.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a ZR-1 for example at 120 grand (car has EVERY TOP LINE FEATURE OUT THERE )after 500 sold the price tanked .(Right now dealers are going into the holdback to move them )At 125 you into Ford GT territory.

You make a good point. It may not be the smartest move to dump a load of money on the very first models off the production line. If I can get one at retail I would be happy though. I remember when GTs first came out, they were going for 20k to 30k OVER retail. I know of a guy who got one at retail and was very happy. IDK I really will have a hard time not buying one immediately depending upon what they do with it.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make a good point. It may not be the smartest move to dump a load of money on the very first models off the production line. If I can get one at retail I would be happy though. I remember when GTs first came out, they were going for 20k to 30k OVER retail. I know of a guy who got one at retail and was very happy. IDK I really will have a hard time not buying one immediately depending upon what they do with it.
At 125 not only are you competition with the cars filled with EXOTIC Materials ,electronc gizmos ect but at that price point a buyer can get a Ford GT (all the depreciation out of it )instead of a Gen 5 thats going to lose 30 k plus by driving it off the lot )Every person i know into the American exotics in regard to spending 120 k on a Zr-1 says the same thing =why would i spend that kind og money on a Vette when i can buy a NICE FGT for a little more.I would hate to have to say the same thing about a Gen 5.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since it was seen by the attendees at VOI, just figure that the pricing will be based on how good the car looks, and since it looks like a million bucks , wow, it could be high,ha!!

Alot of folks are forgetting that the pricing this year, and to some degree last year, was based on economy of scale( very few were built ). Though the car is new , with 1500 -2000 made per year , the pricing has a very real chance to stay in the same realm as before.:2tu:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot can happen in the next two years. I suggest everyone should worry about Obama more than the possible gen V. If he gets his way there will be no supercars. Hope is what Obama sold everyone on.. and nothing but bad has happend. Lets worry about the nation before hoping for what fiat might do :usa: