Size of Drivers for Gen I/II

haxorwear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking the boards for over a year now, and I'm getting ready to either buy a new 04 SRT-10 that my local dealer has behind the lot, or look for a used GTS... However, due to stature (I'm 6'6" 270lbs), I'm somewhat concerned about the ability to drive one comfortably. The local dealers are very protective (as I would be) of their stock and will not allow me to "test-fit" one prior to making my decision to buy. I'm reaching out to the community here to get a good impression of how they fit into their vipers from the larger folks. I appreciate any input you can give, it will help me make my decision!

-Tim

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im 6'-3" and when I bought the GTS I weighed about 310lbs. now at 265 I fit in it better. but I really had no problem then.

I did have to lower the seat 1" though. thank god I did.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the dealer won't let you sit in one, take your business elsewhere.

You will definately need a lowering kit. I'm 6'5 and I fit OK with my 1" kit from Northwind... 2" kit would make it 'bout perfect, but the lil' lady needs to be able to fit in the driver's seat as well.

OP
OP
H

haxorwear

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue... the lady is 5'2" and will kill me if I modify it and she cant drive it. In fact, she (maybe) wants it even more so than I.

Sadly, very few dealers up here even have any on the lot, and those that do won't open the door until they've got a signed contract.

Reaction score
What Magicboy said!! I can understand about test drives.....but the moment I walk in and they won't even let me sit in it?!?!?!? Their loss.....and I'd make sure to cruise by in my new Viper to make sure they knew they screwed the pooch!

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 6'5" and 225 lbs. I have a 2" seat lowering kit from Northwind Engineering, and I like the fit now in my 95 RT/10! My line of sight is now in the middle of my windshield. :2tu:

Personally, I would question my comfort level if I weighed in at 250+ lbs though. I would certainly locate a dealer who has one & will allow you to sit in it prior to dropping the big bucks required for a new Viper.

If that is not an option, maybe another local Viper owner will allow you to sit in his/hers to help make your own decision.

Good luck!!! :cool:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried my fit in an SRT at a dealer, and no way! Seat is too narrow for my 6-5 and 250. The RT is a fine fit with the 2 inch seat drop. Could probably fit in the SRT if the seat wasn't so tight.
GL

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT (Kenny) was in the 320 range and I believe he is 6'6", he did put in the seat lowering kit but does fine in his GTS

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest you get over to Silicon Valley sometime and try on some cars. Valaya Automotive always has a half dozen or so cars. The Northern California Region meetings usually get about 30 cars. There will also be a dozen or so cars at the Palo Alto Concours.

Let me know when you'll be here and you can try on mine (I'm 6'3"). It's a GTS with seat rails modified to lower me enough for helmet clearance (about 2") while retaining full seat travel.

S

SUN RA KAT

I'm 6'5" tall and 298 pounds small now. I was around 340 pounds when I bought my Viper from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. I had the 2" Northwind seat lowering kits installed before I even saw my new Viper and had Woodhouse raise the front of the seats about 1 1/2" to give me proper thigh support and a little more legroom before I drove it home, 865 miles away, following proper new Viper break-in proceedure. Even with all the seat mods, I have to slouch a little when wearing my racing helmet. The biggest problem is there is about only 1/2" of room behind the seats, making a rollbar for road racing at Viper Days as required almost an impossibility and any seat adjustment to get enough room for a roll bar to be installed would mean I wouldn't be able to wear my helmet at all due to even less head room. This hasn't been a problem for drag racing - just wear the helmet and don't go as fast as my Viper is capable of so I don't get kicked out of the track for not having a rollbar.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, very few dealers up here even have any on the lot, and those that do won't open the door until they've got a signed contract.

Uh, mention the name Woodhouse then see if they let you sit in their precious Vipers. The arrogance of some dealerships! What do they think you're gonna do? Scratch the seats with your asscheek? I remember when the NSX was first introduced the dealer had ROPES around it! What's that song by Bruce? Glory Days, they'll pass you by.....

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i owned my gen II's i was 269# 5'10" and am fine in my srt even though i am 255# now but was the 269 when i got it and it was still fine then

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can find a Viper at Nelson Auto Group in Ohio, I'd try them. Even when I was just browsing, before I bought my Viper, they let me sit in the new Murcielagos, Diablos, no problem. Very friendly people.

Also, if you get a seat adjustment kit, I'd make sure to get one that still allows you to adjust the seat forward and back.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to test fit the SRT-10 seats, try and locate an SRT-4 to sit in. Same seats, just different cover materials. They are tighter than the RT/10 and GTS. You may be able to replace '03+ Viper seats with '92-'02 Viper seats, or you can just go aftermarket.

Since you had mentioned height and weight, don't forget footsize with the small footwell and close pedal arrangement in the first and second generation Vipers. I've driven a 2000 GTS twice before and my feet performed flawlessly with size 14 cross training shoes, although recquiring extra care. Just like your blind spots, gas pedal pressure and making sure your wheels are headed straight ahead, be sure you know what you're doing and be very deliberate.
I've goofed up in my Mazda a couple times, whose pedals aren't as tight (and engine not as powerful thank goodness) and still almost got myself into trouble with braking while accidently hitting the gas and slightly panicking. Just shows what problems you may run into in an earlier Viper with large feet, smaller space, less care, and a powerful engine.

If you do have a large size shoe, be sure to check foot space with the pedals and determine if you can manage the small spacing.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Oh..to be six foot something!!..I 'm five foot nothing!! I had the exact opposite problem back in '94 when my car came in!!
Thank goodness I had an ingenious dealer who "adhusted" my chair!!
Hooray for adjustable pedals!!

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" and 220. I ********** everyone on here ;) after my last RT/10 test drive I wasn't impressed and posted about it. Frankly being so tall w/ the stock seats sucked. My head was on the roof, I had to look down to see out the windshield and side window, and every shift my left knee hit the dash. I tried it again sitting in my buddy Dave's RT/10 w/ a soft top, same results. I simply couldn't fit. A 2" lowering kit would be nice, but I haven't tried one.

I rode in John's (Bugeater) 2000 ACR at VIR in February. It was still a tight fit, but better than the RT/10.

I also took a quick ride in George Murray's srt-10 and the seats were too narrow for my shoulders. They pinch into my back. The car was sweet, but the seats weren't comfortable to me.

GO and sit in the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21