size of stock catalytic converters?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Indy ,are you getting collector plates for yours in 2014? Storage ins is about $290 for six months and can't drive the car without day permits, might as well get the car insured for the whole year and be able to drive it any day. Collector ins would be around $1000 for a year.

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the snake insured for the entire year as it is. I take it out when the weather is decent. I'm of the opinion that you might as well enjoy the car when you have it:2tu: Collector plates would be nice, but I take the Viper to work sometimes, and that's not permitted. I've got it insured for "pleasure use", which means I can use it 6 times a month for commuting to work. It's a good compromise :D

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I insure the Viper from April to October for pleasure only. Commuting with the Viper from Port Coquitlam to Burnaby on the main highway makes no sense to me. I carpool with the wife [ she works 5 min from my work at Kodak ] in the HOV lane Mon-Thursday, otherwise traffic is like 20-30 mph crawling practically every day.
Even in my comfortable SUV it's painful getting to work and doubt it after the highway project finished it will be any better!

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, i am also going to take out my cats. I have 3 inch magnaflow catback so should I get 3 inch pipe to replace the catalytic converter or should I get the 2.5 inch pipe which is the same diameter of the cats? Or am i overthinking it and just go out and get the 3 inch? :)

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indy ,are you getting collector plates for yours in 2014? Storage ins is about $290 for six months and can't drive the car without day permits, might as well get the car insured for the whole year and be able to drive it any day. Collector ins would be around $1000 for a year.
I have collector insurance in Alberta. Full coverage for the year for $690. I love paying that compared to my Caravan's insurance :)

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did Aircare last year, the guy there asked about the cats as well, but when I told him they're under the sill he took my word for it. I guess this can be a problem for some more picky inspectors - I'm glad that AirCare will be discontinued by the end of 2014. What a money grabber for nothing. There are so few old cars left nowadays in Vancouver, it just doesn't make sense anymore.
Is that aircare leaving Canada-wide, or just in BC?

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aircare is managed by ICBC, so I'm not sure if other provinces in Canada are also phasing it out. And even here in BC, we only have it in Greater Vancouver, and nowhere else.

I have 3 inch magnaflow catback so should I get 3 inch pipe to replace the catalytic converter or should I get the 2.5 inch pipe which is the same diameter of the cats?
I would get 3" high flow cats, and a 2.5"-3" coupler to the headers. Might as well get the same diameter as your exhaust. Not sure about regulations in Alberta, but having no cats here in BC can be an issue :mad: If you get small high flows, it doesn't make a huge difference in exhaust flow.

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aircare is managed by ICBC, so I'm not sure if other provinces in Canada are also phasing it out. And even here in BC, we only have it in Greater Vancouver, and nowhere else.

I have 3 inch magnaflow catback so should I get 3 inch pipe to replace the catalytic converter or should I get the 2.5 inch pipe which is the same diameter of the cats?
I would get 3" high flow cats, and a 2.5"-3" coupler to the headers. Might as well get the same diameter as your exhaust. Not sure about regulations in Alberta, but having no cats here in BC can be an issue :mad: If you get small high flows, it doesn't make a huge difference in exhaust flow.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the fee is something like $50 for no cats, but having them hidden by the side sills makes it not worth the Sheriff's time. At the moment I either want to keep the cats on there, or delete them. I dont want to spend $400 plus on high flow cats at the moment.

We dont have emissions in Alberta, but I might be moving to ontario so I was hoping they are getting rid of it there

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's called "Drive Clean" in Ontario. No idea if they're considering ending that program or not. Probably best to wait before deleting those cats. Don't forget, it will stink without them, and you might get an error code from the rear O2 sensors...

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think there is an error code thrown in the 99's. I just picked the pipe up form an exhaust shop, he just gave it to me for free so i figure worst case is to install them and take them off if i dont like the stink.

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, give it a try :2tu: If you like the sound, keep it, if not, you've got lots of other options.
Just so you know, the stock cats are welded onto the front, so you'll have to weld them back on if you want to go back to stock. Or are you changing out the entire front section up to the exhaust manifold?

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, give it a try :2tu: If you like the sound, keep it, if not, you've got lots of other options.
Just so you know, the stock cats are welded onto the front, so you'll have to weld them back on if you want to go back to stock. Or are you changing out the entire front section up to the exhaust manifold?

Here's what they look like BEFORE cutting them off the header pipe...

You must be registered for see images attach

... and here AFTER cutting...and with the new ones:

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what they look like BEFORE cutting them off the header pipe...

... and here AFTER cutting...and with the new ones:

which is a bigger pain in the ass? to cut the cat off while the midpipe is still on the car, or to take it off like you

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is definitely not a lot of space when cutting while still on the car, but it can be done. If you do leave it on, make sure you put something behind and above the pipe to prevent accidentally cutting into the frame/body....

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to admit, that removing the V-band clamps was some PITA, especially, when you do it without a lift (like me) and without a long 7/16" socket (again like me). Using just a normal wrench really ***** as you can only turn it very little each time due to the surrounding frame elements. But it is possible, you just need a lot of patience and a bucket full of 4letter words :evilmad:

After I had them off I bought a long socket and with this, the installation was easy (once you had the clamp positioned correctly again, which also requires some patience).

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, guys and gals,

Today I went for the second test ride with my new setup (chilly 4 °C) and I have to say, that it sounds much much better! Maybe sound changed since I had not fastened the clamps to their full torque spec when I test drove it for the first time. Also, the drone I noticed on my first drive starting at 2000 RPM is not a drone anymore :smirk: . It's more the volume of the sound which starts to increase dramatically :D. But what I like most (for now) is the sound at idle. Now it just "gurgles" so nicely. My neighbour who owns a 30 yr old Dodge RAM was literally shocked when I started the Viper (he didn't notice the new exhaust before). It completely "overruled" the sound of his RAM (have to admit that he had to install an additional muffler to pass the technical inspection). I invited him for a ride and his concluding statement was: "Now, that's what a Viper should sound like!"

I am currently preparing a video to demonstrate the "Before and After" effect. Stay tuned :smirk:

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the hard top off and take it for a spin.....it will sound even more intimidating. We have had some nice warm and sunny days this week and I have driven open top with my new setup. You can't compare the sound you perceive :) Looking foreward to hearing some sound clips of your exhaust.

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Video clips never do an exhaust justice, but the difference between stock and your new system is like night and day. Now that 708 cam is really coming to life. It will definitely scare old people :D

PS: Must be cold in Germany... :rolleyes:

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PS: Must be cold in Germany... :rolleyes:

It is, FRICKING cold, still :( . Everyone's complaining about this. But as long as the roads are dry, I will enjoy the snake and if you don't take it to the limits, it is still a good car to drive (my 2 ct) :drive: .

I have made another short video where I measured the exhaust temperature just out of curiosity. Unfortunately, I did not do this when I still had the stock system on so there's no benchmarking. Anyways....

http://youtu.be/W3Xu1vZsRgg

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the temperature measurments. High Flow Cats do seem to run a lot colder. Too bad there is no data on the stock cats, but if anybody out there makes some readings in the future, we now have a benchmark for High Flows. Ever since I finished my exhaust setup, the sidesills just get warm to the touch, not burning hot, so there must be quite a difference in temp....and also the stock cats are sooo much longer. More surface area, even at the same temperature will give off more heat.

PS: I notice you driving with the top off....must be quite chilly in freezing Europe right now :) We're getting some warm days this week in the high teens in Vancouver - they're saying between 14-20 Degrees Celsius :cool:

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Meanwhile the unusual cold in Europe for this time of the year is more often discussed than the Euro crisis in Cyprus. Luckily, the cold will disappear one day, ... I am not so sure about the Euro crisis. Sorry, OT.

But believe it or not, next week we are supposed to get double digit temperatures (in the plus, not minus ;)), but not as high as you will have them. However, it seems like Viper season is slowly coming closer :)

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
air care was great for people from outside the coast, any car that failed for exhaust reasons either sat or was dumped by the owner, I could buy and insure without aircare cause I am in the interior, once aircare is gone then could sell my collection back to people on the coast for normal price, also getting hard to speed on the coast nowadays, lots of open road past hope that u can open up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21