Sleeve In block Moved

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was doing a finishing hone on one of the cylinder sleeves and noticed it had moved out about 1/4 inch.

Was able to get it back into place with a plastic mallet.

Now I'm worried about an internal water leak when it's all back together.

Should I be worrying?

Does the sleeve have water flowing around it and if so how do I seal the sleeves?

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was doing a finishing hone on one of the cylinder sleeves and noticed it had moved out about 1/4 inch.

Was able to get it back into place with a plastic mallet.

Now I'm worried about an internal water leak when it's all back together.

Should I be worrying?

Does the sleeve have water flowing around it and if so how do I seal the sleeves?

Press fit, are you saying it moved above the deck 1/4"? This happend while you were honing? :confused:
I suppose you could pressure test the assembly prior to firing up.

OP
OP
Frankster

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking I may have smacked the sleeve while pushing the piston out. I was using a wooden handle to do it and I think the rod shoulder was resting on the sleeve when I gave it a whack. It did take some effort with the plastic mallet to get it back into place.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Gen 1 the upper end of the liner is sealed via the head gasket. That should be fine. The lower end has an o-ring around the liner to seal on a step in the block. Your question is a good one - is that o-ring able to tolerate liner movement after the original installation? See the parts manuals here

http://forums.viperclub.org/2644509-post1.html

Gen 1 picture is page 9-410B, part number 10 or page 9-310A part number 3

There would have to be sliding to install the liner in the first place. So unless the o-rings get hard and brittle, you should be OK. Chuck Tator or other engine guys would know.