Slight clunking sound when letting accelerating in first.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is on a 96 GTS if it matters. It's not terrible and doesn't sound like its in the drivetrain. It sounds like something is twisting, almost like the motor is twisting in the chassis. If this is a simple as changing to a new or higher quality motor mount, it would be great, but wouldn't fall into my kind of luck. I need to get under this thing and take a look, but I'm sure somebody has already been there done that with this issue.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the top of your shift knob move more than 1/2 an inch to the side when accelerating? If so, it's your motor mounts.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine or tranny mounts, driveshaft or halfshafts, control arm mounts, rear axle hub nut, wheel lug nuts, diff housing mounts. Could be any of these, but if you feel like it's the motor mounts, it's time with a '96.

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is on a 96 GTS if it matters. It's not terrible and doesn't sound like its in the drivetrain. It sounds like something is twisting, almost like the motor is twisting in the chassis. If this is a simple as changing to a new or higher quality motor mount, it would be great, but wouldn't fall into my kind of luck. I need to get under this thing and take a look, but I'm sure somebody has already been there done that with this issue.

How many miles on the Viper?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32