Slip fit header Question

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a set of 1-3/4 TNT headers for my GTS. The 5 tubes slip fit into each collector. How do these things seal???? What is the reasoning for having each peice individual as opposed to a single peice welded design like the Belangers? Thanks...AL

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same headers on my ACR (TNT). Yes, they leak when you first install them, but after you drive the car through several heat cycles they seal themselves.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, How do they seal themselves?? Any ideas??? That doent make any sense to me..Thanks...AL
I don't know! But when I removed the passenger side collector to add a second o2 ****, I freaked out about the LOUD exhaust leak after I reinstalled it. I could feel and hear it leaking at the collector. After spending a month debating how to fix it (some people put RTV in the joint), I realized it was gone!! :2tu:

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deans idea on the carbon buildup seems realistic...Why are some headers 1 peice and others a bunch of seperate peices? Anyone? I think I would have liked the 1 peice design, but the TNTs I have heard are a great header for power. Are all of the B&Bs seperate peices as well?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deans idea on the carbon buildup seems realistic...Why are some headers 1 peice and others a bunch of seperate peices? Anyone? I think I would have liked the 1 peice design, but the TNTs I have heard are a great header for power. Are all of the B&Bs seperate peices as well?

Probably for the ease of install. On a Viper one piece headers are a nightmare to install compared to the headers that come appart.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same TNT headers on my race car and have never had a problem with them. They will make your exhaust sound much louder though!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, How do they seal themselves?? Any ideas??? That doent make any sense to me..Thanks...AL
I don't know! But when I removed the passenger side collector to add a second o2 ****, I freaked out about the LOUD exhaust leak after I reinstalled it. I could feel and hear it leaking at the collector. After spending a month debating how to fix it (some people put RTV in the joint), I realized it was gone!! :2tu:

- How many miles do you think you drove in that month?

:cool:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about it, there may be more to wanting no header leaks than just noise reduction..

It could be said the entire purpose of changing over to headers is to in the end create a higher vacuum depression in the cylinder through more efficient exhaust evacuation. Efficient enough to create a higher vacuum in the cylinder, producing better cylinder filling, and more HP.

Unless you're replacing OE headers that are particularly restrictive, much of that vacuum increase comes from increases in scavenging are happening well downstream of the header to cylinder head flange. Probably kind of an accumulative effect that once back at the cylinder yields its' benefits.

If there are leaks at the slip fit, or worse - at the header flange to cylinder head connection, most if not all of any increased scavenging/vacuum boost your headers stood a chance of giving the cylinder will disappear in an instant through the leaks instead of creating more vacuum in the cylinder..

The cylinder won't know there's a header attached if it doesn't get the message.

I do know it doesn't take much of a leak to lower or eliminate vacuum strength altogether. You've got to contain it well if you want to keep it.

:)

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are getting ready to launch a similar design header like the TNT (pretty exact to be precise)...I will post pics and price with results

OP
OP

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB, I bought a set of your wires...if your headers are like them they will be a winner...hope they have a retail of 500.00 or so for the pair...AL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960