Slop In Transmission?

rory97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My transmission seems to have a lot of slop in it. It's been the same since I got it a year ago, and I've always assumed it's normal for T56's, but I thought I'd ask. The tranny is very clunky when going from compression to power or vise versa. Of course all manual trannys do that to some extent, but my viper is about the worst I've experience. I checked all the mounts, u-joints, etc. -- everything looks good. The tranny goes through the gears just fine, but down shifting to compression can seem really harsh unless I match the rpms well. I really **** at the heel toe thing too.

Is this normal?

Oh yeah, 97 gts,24k,amsoil fluid.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome.

You can raise the gas pedal to closer to the same height as the brake pedal by adding a little spacer to the end of the throttle cable. I just split some thick wall plastic tubing and made sure it didn't come off with a plastic tie wrap. I always meant to do something more permanent, but after several years it hasn't fallen off yet.

186gas_pedal_fix_2.JPG

Or you can buy special heel-toe racing shoes like this:

186jokefeet.jpg

OP
OP
R

rory97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Does your transmission seem to have a lot of that back and forth, slack and clank, when going from power to compression too? It feels like there's a lot of driveline slack, but it sounds like it comes from the transmission. I'd like to hear that they're all like that, so I can cross it off my worry list.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 97 GTS is very tight no clanking, even in the rear, now my SRT clanks back and forth in the rear only, as we know tolerances can be different on all cars.
God I hope you don't buy those shoes, you would look real funny getting in and out of your viper

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have experienced this with past cars and it happened to be where the clutch disk and input shaft meet. Feels like a worn u-joint but sounds like like hiting a cast iron pan with a spoon!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's have a significant amount of driveline slop as built. Normal. Is yours at the normal amount or not? Can't help you there.

Nice idea Tom! How have you solved the throttle cable / firewall issue?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has slop in the differential, which adds to the harmonics of out-of-adjustment throttle bodies. It's a good loud clang when it happens, and been doing it for years (~85,000 miles on car.)

Ron, haven't done anything more than what's shown. A small change in tube size changes pedal height a lot, so it takes a few tries. What is the issue?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tom,

Hasn't happened to me, but I've read about many that say it's just a matter of time until the throttle cable pulls out of the firewall under hard acceleration. Not sure what gives way, or if it's a GENII issue only. Just know that if it happened to you that you'd have engineered an effective solution (that I could lift!).

Thanks,

Ron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant