Slotted vs Drilled...

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious as to which rotor would be best, slotted or drilled. I've read that slotted are stronger, but from a visual standpoint I like the drilled better. Most of my driving is done on the street, but expect to start doing more track events... can I still use a drilled rotor? Thanks - Richard

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2-piece rotors inbig-brakes w/ holes or slots aside--------

You pretty much stated the answer!

The slotted rotors last longer, and BITE better than the drilled rotors. Even counter-sunk, well-made "holey rotors" simply yield too soon to heat-caused cracks. Street-cars are OK, and show-cars ditto....... but with track events in your plans, stay away from holy rotors, or you could say HOLY ____! at the end of a hard-braking straight!

The holes also can add gas-pressure to the friction layer between the pad and rotor, diminishing braking...which is why SLOTS again are first choice.

Prices are comparable......

Reaction score
Richard, I agree with JonB. While cross-drilled rotors look ****, they do have a tendency to crack under extreme conditions. They also decrease the surface area of the rotor and chew up the pads. I prefer either slotted or plain rotors.
I sell StopTech AeroRotors (as well as the full line of StopTech brake systems), which work great for street and open tracking and are a direct replacement. E-mail me privately for more information and pricing.

OP
OP
R

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon & Bill, I guess that's the feedback I needed to convince me that I should get the slotted rotors with the package... but boy those cross drilled StopTech's sure look nice! By the way, will EBC pads work on a Big Brake set-up?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason that most cross drilled rotors develop heat related cracks, going from holes to holes,is because they are made of cast iron.

I am sure that you have seen race Porsches or Ferrari with cross drilled rotors,those one are made of steel and have no problems.

Luc.

Reaction score
Yes, I carry EBC pads that will fit with the StopTech calipers. I should have some coming in early next week. We sell different pads for street and racing driving, because there's really no such thing as a dual duty pad. (There are compromises to each.) I really recommend getting a set of street pads (EBC Greens) and a set of race pads (EBC Yellows), swapping them for open track events.
Feel free to contact my "Viper sales guy" Wayne ([email protected]) or me for pricing on the pads.
By the way, we just received in our first 14" front/13" rear StopTech kit today. Whoa, mama! We'll report shortly on it's "awesomeness."
tongue.gif

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience cryo-treating their discs?
Ive only heard a little about this treatment.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had experiences with both and would prefer the cross drilled. Yes the slotted will provide better stopping power, but they also chew the heck out of brake pads. I know as for the cross drilled cracking, if you buy a good manufacturer's rotors like Brembo, you should have no problems. If they do crack, I also know they should compensate you.
Just my .02C

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cross drilled is a gimmick and an anachronism from the days when there was actually a technical need for it. Old style pads built up a gas layer between pad and rotor that would float the pad. Drilling or slotting was done to accomplish the same thing ... allow a recess for the gas to expand into, thus keeping the pads on the rotor. Modern compound pads don't have the same out-gassing problem so why use a rotor that chews pads and has diminished strength?

If drilled is so bad, you might ask, then how does Porsche (best brakes in the world) get away with it? Because they're not drilled, their rotors are cast with holes in them which eliminates the stress risers produced during drilling. It's also pretty clear that Porsche likes their holey rotors because they look pretty and sell.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21