small "wear" tear in seat!!

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
small \"wear\" tear in seat!!

5000 miles on my 2000 GTS, just noticed a small crack/tear in the drivers seat. It is near the seam (not in it) on the left side on the bolster about where you grip the seat to help get out. Anyone else have this problem. Obviously out of warranty. I do have the Chrysler extended warranty though. Any suggestion on how to fix?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: small \"wear\" tear in seat!!

I have the same in my 2001 GTS with 5K miles. Not sure how to fix it as mine is right on the seam. I looked at the do it yourself leather repair kit but it looks too hard to get a good match given that it is on the seam. Short of a leather redo (ala SnakeHydes or Venzano) I'd be curious to hear of a solution.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: small

Most good upholstery shops can do repairs with the seats in the car that will defy detection. I've had it done twice and could not see the repair even though I knew where the damage was done. Ask around in your area I can't think this is unique to Texas. :usa:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem on my 2000 GTS, at exactly the same place due to the same reason: using the seat as leverage to get out.

The tears are not in the leather part of the seat but in the vinyl,seems that the outer layer of the vinyl just cracked and you can see the white backup fabric.

I got mine replaced under warranty and to avoid the same problem in the future, I changed my way of getting out of the car.
Instead of using the seat bolter as leverage with my left hand, I now use the door metal latch on the vertical part of the door opening (above the "hot" label.

Luc.
00GTS

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also had a small tear in the drivers side (97 GTS), I will look tonight to see what I used to fix it and let you know. It has lasted a couple of years now and there is know sign of any further damage. You should watch what you have in your back pockets, my was caused by a small comb. I now take everything out of my back pockets before I get in the car.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

I had the same problem with mine and when it started to get worse I switched the top of the drivers seat with the passenger seat so it is not as noticeable. Very poorly designed seats I think.

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Any sort of pre-emptive protection you can use on that part of the seat to keep this from wearing thin other than cheesy seat covers?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any sort of pre-emptive protection you can use on that part of the seat to keep this from wearing thin other than cheesy seat covers?

Yep, contact Chad at Snakehydes :2tu: :2tu: , He is taking care of my car right now! :headbang:

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine driver seat was replace at about 7,000 miles.
due to wear. same as you describe.
my vipertech was able to get it covered by warranty.
he said it shouldnt wear like that in such a short time.

try the dealership.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've got about 15000 miles on mine and have noticed the leather tearing. Any suggestions on where I could take it in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to get it fixed under warranty?

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darcshadow

Having mine replaced under warranty at Manuell Dodge in Richardson.
18,000 miles and small seperations in the same place mentioned .

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

This is a common problem. The leather is very soft and wears easy. If you replace the bolster with vinyl that matches the leather (I have done this many times)it will fix the problem. If your warranty covers it, the can replace the whole seat back.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,

If we are talking about the same part, the bolster, meaning the side of the seat back, it is made of vinyl, not leather, at least on my 2000 GTS and and the warranted replacement seat back that I got.

Luc. 00GTS

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same-Same with my 01 GTS. 13K. I've got the extended warranty and asked my local dealer about this...they said no...but I'll take this thread and show it to them, maybe I'll get a positive response.

Paul :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960