Smelling gasoline while driving.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While driving I am smelling gasoline coming from the inside of the cabin. Sometimes it’s strong others times it goes away. It doesn’t smell like gasoline in the garage or outside of the car while running or while not running. And there are no puddles in the garage and none form while I am Idle and revving the engine in a parking space.

I do have one theory:

Could it be a leak in my exhaust? Sometimes I do smell exhaust in the cabin. And I am thinking it could be unspent gas in the exhaust that I am smelling?

Please help :2tu:

Thanks,

Dan

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick guess gas filler pipe seal.Do you notice
the smell after fill up,or left turns and on
rough roads spirited driving can also do it.

Skeeter

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine had a similar problem. It ended up being an injector o-ring. Eventually it got worst and I noticed it. Also , when an injector leaks, it runs underneath the intake runners and remains puddled on the top of the block. You would not get puddles on the ground. Shine a flashlight down there to ensure the area is dry. My guess is you are at the early stages of a leaking injector o-ring.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skeeter

I do tend to notice it after fill up. And all my drives can be catorgorized as spirted :) The smell also seems to be comming from the rear of the car (I did check the gas cap :) ). But you can still only smell it from inside. I am guessing fixing a gas filler pipe seal is not that big a deal to fix?

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there done that have the "T"shirt.
To fix remove=right rear wheel,innerfender,
remove fill pipe push in new seal(Tator keeps them in stock)
replace all the parts you removed.Both our 93&94 have
needed this. :curse:

Skeeter

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skeeter

I do tend to notice it after fill up. And all my drives can be catorgorized as spirted :) The smell also seems to be comming from the rear of the car (I did check the gas cap :) ). But you can still only smell it from inside. I am guessing fixing a gas filler pipe seal is not that big a deal to fix?

I don't know about "easy fix" but that's what's happening. Sometimes I get that smell from topping off the tank. Maybe that's when it's stuck in the tube and leaks a little????

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the gas smell from the rear of the car when I 1st bought my car and I just tightened up the fuel neck and it went away. lately (past month or so), I can be driving and i'll get one strong whiff of gasoline and normally wont smell it anymore. smells like its coming from the front of the car back into the cabin. I guess i'll check my injectors and see if I see any signs of leaks on the block

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there done that have the "T"shirt.
To fix remove=right rear wheel,innerfender,
remove fill pipe push in new seal(Tator keeps them in stock)
replace all the parts you removed.Both our 93&94 have
needed this. :curse:

Skeeter

How long did the job take and how much $s did it cost you? (if you don't mind me asking)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Dam I Guess I can't drive the Viper to our meeting tommarow. :( In fear of it blowing up. :eek:

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan
I think parts were less than 20 bucks
maybe 1 to 2 hrs. time,the inner fender is
a pain.

Skeeter

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man, it is gonna be so niiiiiiiice for our meeting tomorrow night!
LOL don't remind me Chris. Suppose to be 75 DEGREES! Just might be a couple hundred degrees in my car if it spontaneously combusts........I'll be driving my truck. :D

Dan
I think parts were less than 20 bucks
maybe 1 to 2 hrs. time,the inner fender is
a pain.

Skeeter

Thanks for all your help! :2tu:

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like my Dodge dealer has the part. Going to attempt fixing it after work (so I can go to the meeting to night in it) hopefully with a mechanic buddy of mines help. Is it a pretty straight forward job? Is there anything I should know about? (I am not the best mechanic)

Thanks,
Dan

TooEvil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The filler cap is at a greater elevation than the passenger window sill, are you sure you poured gas into the right hole?

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The filler cap is at a greater elevation than the passenger window sill, are you sure you poured gas into the right hole?

I am pretty good at getting it in the right hole. LOL :2tu:

It was the gas filler pipe seal. It's fixed.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang