Smog Check

Viper Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My smog renewal noticed states: "Smog certificate required at a test only center". Apparently my car made the HEP (high emitter profile) list plus I live in an "Enhanced Area" (region with high pollution levels).

I'm worried that it won't pass the smog check since I recently added headers, hi-flow cats and borla cat-backs.

Does anyone else have a similar setup that passed/failed a smog check recently?

I'm not sure if I should put back on the stock cats (suggested by Valaya racing) or just chance taking it in as it.

Thanks!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask Valaya if they know any friendly smog tech guys. If so have them run an emissions test without sending it to the state. If it's clean at least you know it will pass the sniffer. If the Test Only guys aren't super sharp, they might not notice the headers.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I don't live in California (anymore), I do have to get smog testing done each year here in Georgia. My '94 has stock exhaust manifolds, high-flow cats and borla mufflers. They require me to actually dyno test the car (similar to California) every year since pre-'96 cars don't have OBDII. I had no problem passing the test.