Smog Test Results on Gen IV with ACRX track headers

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do have the Mopar controller installed in my Gen 4. I was curious to see how my Bad Boyzz Garage ACRX Track headers and single high flow cat setup would compare to my stock setup. Since I bought the car out of State, I had to have it smogged to register it in California. I live in an "enhanced" smog area so for the Viper, the reading is taken at idle and at 2500 rpm. Enhance means if you can pass here, you can pretty much pass the sniffer test anywhere in the USA.

My first test when new was with 64 miles on the odometer. Car burned so clean I could not believe it. Today I had it tested at the same shop as the first test so I can get an idea of what the mods did to the smog readings. For me, it was more out of curiosity than anything else. Car had nearly a full tank of 91 octane and 3284 miles on the odometer.

Good news is the car passed with flying colors. Hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide were both below the "average" number (or within .01%). The car is stock except for the ACRX headers and cat....I'm still running the stock mufflers. I'm also running both 02 sensors and no codes in over 1200 miles of driving.

It'll be interesting to see how the Mopar controller changes the sound and driving performance of the car. Should have it done by next week. After that, 3.55 gears with an OS Giken :D

Cheers,
George

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George glad to hear tht the headers worked out for you. The 3.55 should be a fun project as well and the Mopar Controller should make you faster. Looking forward to racing you again.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One problem however with the Mopar controller is that where I live, in PA, emissions tests are run by plugging into the OBD port. The aftermarket controllers won't test, the computer will just say "not ready". So, your emissions could be clean as a whistle, but you won't pass here. PA is worse than California.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One problem however with the Mopar controller is that where I live, in PA, emissions tests are run by plugging into the OBD port. The aftermarket controllers won't test, the computer will just say "not ready". So, your emissions could be clean as a whistle, but you won't pass here. PA is worse than California.

Yep. NYS too. :(

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would the Mopar computer show the I/M monitors as not ready? In order to pass in most states the Malfunction Indicator Light (Check Engine light to most people) needs to be off and the relevant I/M monitors must be shown as complete. These monitors include Heated O2 test, Evap Test, and some others. I would think that the Mopar controller would still be doing these tests as they are kind of fundamental to the way the computer operates. The Mopar controller is not after all a piggy back controller, it replaces the stock PCM. Maybe Mark at Woodhouse could comment on this.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In most states the computer must show several of the monitors have passed, even if the light is not on. George did the smog station plug into your OB2 port when they performed the test and check the monitors? The Mopar controller is for off road use, so it does not run the monitors for catayst etc..

Hope this helps.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In MA I believe all monitors must show as N/A or Passed. They cannot show as Failed or incomplete. The only exception I think is the Evap test. Dan, does the Mopar controller show the catalyst test as incomplete or N/A? If N/A I believe it would pass in MA.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the Mopar computer installed as of yet...car was smogged with the stock computer. My plan is to run remove the Mopar computer if the car goes in for some type of smog. I don't expect or am going to try to make the car pass smog with the Mopar computer installed. It's not to tough of a swap out back to the stock computer for smog, etc.

Cheers,
George

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock computer will throw cat codes though, right, if you're only running one or none. Still would be a problem here in PA. I think you guys in Cali actually have it easier than us.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most states the computer must show several of the monitors have passed, even if the light is not on. George did the smog station plug into your OB2 port when they performed the test and check the monitors? The Mopar controller is for off road use, so it does not run the monitors for catayst etc..

Hope this helps.

Dan Cragin
President, DC Performance Inc

Dan,

This car has the stock controller on it. ACRX system runs both O2 sensors on each bank and I have not had any check engine lights or codes in over 1200 miles of driving.

I haven't tested a Mopar controller for smog yet, but I'm betting it would not pass the sniffer test...but who knows until someone gets one tested :dunno:

Maybe a future test is in order after I install the Mopar controller...just for the sake of curiosity and clean high performance.

These new Vipers burn so clean, if you were trying to commit suicide in your garage, you'd probably run out of fuel before the carbon monoxide killed you :rolaugh:

Cheers,
George

Reaction score
The Mopar controller will as Dan said not show the rear 02's working. They check to see if systems are running as they should and the test will show as bad 02 sensors more than likely even though the CEL is not on.

Reaction score
The configuration you have will probably pass everything but a visual if they know what they are looking for. Even if it passes they can fail you for a non CARB approved part in the exhaust. Stupid I know, but true none the less.

Hope this helps.

Dan Cragin
President, DC Performance Inc

Dan,

This car has the stock controller on it. ACRX system runs both O2 sensors on each bank and I have not had any check engine lights or codes in over 1200 miles of driving.

I haven't tested a Mopar controller for smog yet, but I'm betting it would not pass the sniffer test...but who knows until someone gets one tested :dunno:

Maybe a future test is in order after I install the Mopar controller...just for the sake of curiosity and clean high performance.

These new Vipers burn so clean, if you were trying to commit suicide in your garage, you'd probably run out of fuel before the carbon monoxide killed you :rolaugh:

Cheers,
George

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mopar controller will as Dan said not show the rear 02's working. They check to see if systems are running as they should and the test will show as bad 02 sensors more than likely even though the CEL is not on.

I tried it here in Texas with the Mopar PCM and it would not pass. It said "not ready". Then when I put my stock PCM back in I had to run it for about 200 miles to get it to pass. They use the OBD II plug to read it.
The engine makes a bunch of popping noises in the pipes with headers and the stock PCM that I had never heard with the Mopar PCM.

Reaction score
I tried it here in Texas with the Mopar PCM and it would not pass. It said "not ready". Then when I put my stock PCM back in I had to run it for about 200 miles to get it to pass. They use the OBD II plug to read it.
The engine makes a bunch of popping noises in the pipes with headers and the stock PCM that I had never heard with the Mopar PCM.

The Mopar controller reduces the decel fuel enrichment that is why popping is reduced.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock computer will throw cat codes though, right, if you're only running one or none. Still would be a problem here in PA. I think you guys in Cali actually have it easier than us.

Swexlin, we don't have it easier. His earler post was misleading thinking he had the mopar ecu on, he didn't and the ECU isn't going to pass in CA. Also, headers won't pass the smog test in CA, it may pass on the sniffer but if they don't have a CARB # (none do) then they can fail you and some places do. It ***** for individuals and car manufactures too. On another note, look at our fuel, you can buy 93 octane all day long. to get to 93 here for the mopar ECU, you have to buy 91 and mix it with 100, making the fcost well over $4.00 a gallon. CA rules, if enforced, are the most restrictive in the US. Mike

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yikes, that is ridiculous! We can at least get 93 here at almost any station and any brand. I run Sunoco 93 in both the Viper and SRT8, currently about $2.85.

I was thinking about a sniff test. If they just "sniffed" here in PA (like they used to) it wouldn't matter what controller was used. But, the Mopar "off-road" will show as "not ready", hence FAIL!:crazy2:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swexlin, Yeah when I travel I see 93 all over, was in Orlando last week and saw prices like that too, here around $3.40 for 91, cheapest 100 for me is $7.49, one closer to my house is $8.99, 12 at 91 and 4 at 100 get's close to $5.00. I'm only using 93 when I track or dyno.

Dan @ DC told me a couple of weeks ago how there using the computer more now then in the past, I've got 3 more years before I'll need my '08 smoged, hope the rules don't get tighter!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery