Smokin' - not the usual kind

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokin\' - not the usual kind

Was loading a box of Bud into the viper this afternoon at Nadine's in the sunshine (for a change), placed it on the floor by the back wheels then opened the passenger door to drop it into the footwell, just lifted the box over the seat when I noticed some smoke wafting up the side of the bud box.

After a bit of pondering on what had happened it turns out the sunshine had reflected off the wheel and had created a pinpoint beam of light, which quickly burn't through the cardboard. We tried it again and it happened again instantly, the wheels weren't even clean.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Smokin\'

Glad you're OK...remember when stock 18" wheels first came out...one guy noted smoldering of his while sitting next to car and another melted an area on his plastic toolbox...I NEVER park those wheels over dry grass or leaves !!!

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Smokin\' - not the usual kind

I remember in the early days of the GTS....some set their interiors on fire because of the rear glass not being tempered correctly....friend of mine had two holes burned in the backs of his seats.....the wheels are a new one to me....

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I burned a hole in my pant leg one sunny morning while standing next to the car talking with my neighbor. Dodge did a good job of dishing the wheels just right, they make great solar concentrators.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I felt a burning pain while kneeling next to my rim one day and finally realized it was the rim focusing a pinpoint of light on my leg like a magnifying lens. Conditions seem to need to be just right. It has made me wonder if the guys who have chromed their 18" rims have had any extra problems due to this. I could definitely see it being a fire hazard under the right conditions.

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Box of bud? Amersterdam bud or thirst quenching bud? I hear about you crazy britts out there!!

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

20 bottles in a box, party pack for one, must be made to USA spec as its only 5% proof :)

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why drink Bud with all the great beers available there? I live here and won't touch the crap-I call it weasel p*iss.

B

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

not for me just delivering from a friend to a friend, Bud's ok'ish but there are some small time breweries in the UK knocking out great beer

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

LOL, yep...been there, done that. Set my pants on fire 2 summers ago while cleaning the wheels. The Viper...a survival tool? naw.....

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Neil, your wheels are so shiney I need to wear my welding mask to look-see at them!

Yep it was a pin point beam, I had to see it to believe it though, I thought you were having a laugh at first. Still can't believe it given the freezing conditions outside today...amazing, it was so cold and windy outside, if you'd lit a match it would have gone out, the power of a Viper, way to go.

PS...Don't ever park beside my Beloved unless it's dark or in shade!

You American people need to try some UK scrumpy cider, brewed local to me, if you think you can drink strong beer, this will sort the 'men from the boys'!