smoking catalytic converters

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if it is normal for catalytic converters to smoke. A few days ago I took the side covers off to install a catback system. I saw on the metal parts attached to the covers that there was a black spot where the cat sits. I was kind of surprised but didn't think of anything until I finished the catback. System and fired it up. Not having the covers on the catalytic converters started to smoke at the narrow portion where the muffler joins to the cat. Now I'm worried to put the cover back and drive it. I didn't notice it smoking when it was idling there, but I did when I turned the car off..........

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i recall, your car is boosted. IMO there is no place for cats on a boosted car. trouble waiting to happen

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably the oils from your hands. Start it up again after it cools and it should not smoke.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I thought it was the paper from the reducer that goes over it. After the first time I scratched all the paper off and second time its still there. Perhaps some left-over glue from the paper? Hopefully something minor like that

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....and here I thought you having trouble lighting it.....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably oil from the manufacturing process. I just got my sills repainted and when RSI had the car on the dyno, it was like hey dave, your car smells like bondo. New paint being baked in. Or in your case, new oil being baked off.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cats smoked too when I initially installed them. After a couple of start ups it stopped. The paper sticker residue on the cat smoked too. My entire exhaust smoked after I painted it with it VHT paint too. As long as flames aren't shooting out of the cats, you're good. :D

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about putting the sills back on.......or just drive it a bit without sills? Also, is it normal for the silver parts on the insude of the sills to have a bit of a burn mark? I have pictures......................

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about putting the sills back on.......or just drive it a bit without sills? Also, is it normal for the silver parts on the insude of the sills to have a bit of a burn mark? I have pictures......................

Post pics but based on your description this appears normal with stock cats. The insulation inside my side sill and on the frame behind the cat were darkened a lot due to the heat coming off of the cats. My side sill insulation also had 2 burn marks with one having hole burned through the insulation about 1/4" or so deep. I changed out my cats in 2006 for high flow cats. This did bring down side sill temps and my side sill insulation hasn't burned anymore but the heat from the cats still continues to discolor the insulation but not nearly as bad as the OEM cats did.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456