Smooth Tubes

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed smooth tubes on my '94 R/T 10. While the area under the hood is cleaner, I have noted no difference in the "hiss" of air as it passes through the tubes into the throttle bodies, nor have I noted any perceptable increase in power. Any comments?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you also add a K&N or other performance air filter element?
if not, that should allow you to hear the intake sound.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don Hiltz:
I have noted no difference in the "hiss" of air as it passes through the tubes into the throttle bodies, nor have I noted any perceptable increase in power. Any comments?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The change in "hiss" level is most noticeable on cars that have a NACA duct because it's a ~direct path to the outside of the hood. ( the 94 air path has more places to disburse the sound before getting to the outside world)Changing from stock filter to K&N or similar causes the biggest change in "hiss sound". Just look at all the foam on the stock unit.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
I tried that also, and found that I lost .4 seconds on back to back runs. But it did sound better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, you are JOKING, right? NO WAY should a Gen-I car lose almost half a second by installing smoothe tubes and K+Ns!! Virtually impossible.

Gen-I reaps more HP benefit by losing the anti-reverb cannister attached to the OE hoses, and going smoothe......Solid, proven gains of 15HP with just this cheap mod.... {MoPar data}

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
What does "NACA" actually stand for?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics

Chartered in 1915, operational from 1917-1958. The National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958 created NASA from NACA.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the smooth hoses and K&Ns make a bigger difference in earlier cars. Maybe you need to disconnect the battery and reconnect so that the computer re-learns with this new air flow? I know my 2000 makes much more air noise with the K&Ns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang