Smooth Tubes

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally installed the smooth tubes,They were a little less than easy to get on. Anyway, I noticed that they kink around the bottom of the TB. Being that they are not angled down like the stock pieces they (kink) giving me the impression that the goal I was trying to achieve by reducing turbulence within the intake tubes is not being met... I wonder if they were molded at a slight angle to eliminate turbulence would they be more effective? Hence, do these things serve a purpose? I understand they are smooth compared to (ribbed) like stock, but It just looks like the kink would cause more turbulence than the ribs in the stock piece..I installed the K&N,s and was impressed considering that K&N filters have done very little for any of my other cars.Any one else agree with this???
Thanks-

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know which tubes you got, but I made my own and there are no kinks in mine. they are straight, but one end is cut to an angle to avoid the kinking.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made mine also. I did cut one end at an angle which did help quite a bit with any kinks due to the angle. I used the factory clamps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NO ***** STUFF ALLOWED!

it is "possible" that an unfinished set slipped thru to you.
The ends are indeed slanted / angled on a properly finished piece. Old Rascall JR may also have hit the culprit...a rotated install

Say John? When you used that "washing up" dish-soap to install your intake hoses, how long did your Viper blow BUBBLES?

OP
OP
T

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The snake Oyl brand tubes that I got are completely tubular with flat straight ends..Did they redesign them or the ones you guys talking about a different brand?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Snake Oyl's tubes are straight and, in MY opinion, tend to be a little on the "short" side for some Vipers (I KNOW, as I purchased 4 sets about 18mo ago for our Snakes as well as one for a friend)...no bevel on end, AND they tended to be less than 8 inches in length (could NOT even install them on one Gen I Viper). I believe this was the case because their stock came in one meter lengths, and they could squeeze 5 tubes out of one piece by making them 7 7/8 inches each...instead of wasting several inches of hose at around $1.60-1.80 an inch). When Charlie started making the "Adderwear Smooth Tubes" in the summer of 2000, he cleverly ordered his tube from the same source, but in 50 inch lengths...thereby having ENOUGH tube to make 6 GOOD tubes with only a couple of wasted inches. This allowed him to incorporate a very nice bevel on the end that attaches to the throttle body. Alas, Charlie has moved on to other GREAT things, but he SURE turned out some GREAT, and affordable tubes (in 5 colors !!!). If you are using silicone tubes, BE SURE to use PROPER hose clamp (where the holes on the band are shielded on the inside as the screw is tightened thereby preventing these sharp holes from touching the hose...as they can cut into the tube...ESPECIALLY if one overtightens the screw...I also experienced this hose damage using the furnished clamps with the original 4 hose sets purchased).

Sean Roe's tubes are excellent, in my opinion. They come in colors, and are priced RIGHT. There may be other sources out there as well...consider posting same if you come across them.

OP
OP
T

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where can I get a set of smooth tubes other than snake Oyl that do not kink??
THANKS-
Ivan

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan-
Check your e-mails and give us a call today at 408.562.1000. We're open.
-Wayne

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter