Snake Kill

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was out yesterday at Harris Hill Road in San Marcos testing out my new alignment specs and rake adjustment that I had done this week. It was a perfect weather day in the low 70's and clear.

I am cruising through the course when I see a black shiny area on the road and my first thought is the car ahead was spilling somthing like oil so I stay clear. Just as I approach, I see a head come up and the the shiny black starts to sliver across the road. It looked huge and like a rattler.

I figure, we don't need poison snakes off track just in case someone gets the scare of there lives while going off track and perhaps getting out of the car, so I tell myself if the snake is still on the road my next pass, it will have to face a match with my red snake.

Sure enough it is still there and so I aim and feel the hit. Boy I was supprised at how the car jumped up when front/rear tires made contact on this thing. I am glad I was preppared because it I had not been, and was comming into the turn hot, it sure would have thrown the car off.

One of the workers goes out with a shovel and when he comes back in, he tells me it was a 4+ foot Rat Snake. I feel kinda bad at this point because I would have left it alone, if I did not think it was a rattler or some other poison type snake.

He then tells me that I avenged a mother bunny rabbit as the snake had just swallowed up some 10 tiny weeny baby rabbits and must have been out for a crawl to try and digest its luch. I guess that explains the double thud I felt when I drove over it.

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me more about this harris hill road. I'm in San Antonio as well and just picked up an 04. I'd love to get some experience on a road course as I've only done the strip a few times in past cars...

O and good kill. Any bunny killer deserves to be splattered by a 3000+ pound vehicle

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tell me more about this harris hill road. I'm in San Antonio as well and just picked up an 04. I'd love to get some experience on a road course as I've only done the strip a few times in past cars...

O and good kill. Any bunny killer deserves to be splattered by a 3000+ pound vehicle

LOL. Harris Hill Road. PM me and give me your cell and I would be happy to take you out for a complimentary intro where I can introduce you to the guys that run the track and they will take you out in your car and show you some basic pointers to the track.

It's a 35-45 min drive for me and I try hit the track for a 2 hour session at least twice a month. Lots of fun and good folks and best of all no walls to run into if you get SNAKE BIT.

I would call it more of a technical course with only one straight that you might get up to 110 mph before you need to slow down for a slow right hander. Great club house.

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Harris Hill Road. PM me and give me your cell and I would be happy to take you out for a complimentary intro where I can introduce you to the guys that run the track and they will take you out in your car and show you some basic pointers to the track.

It's a 35-45 min drive for me and I try hit the track for a 2 hour session at least twice a month. Lots of fun and good folks and best of all no walls to run into if you get SNAKE BIT.

I would call it more of a technical course with only one straight that you might get up to 110 mph before you need to slow down for a slow right hander. Great club house.

Seems like a ton of fun. I noticed you have to purchase a membership and pay monthly dues. Is there a way you can just pay per visit? Not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost...

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was out yesterday at Harris Hill Road in San Marcos testing out my new alignment specs and rake adjustment that I had done this week. It was a perfect weather day in the low 70's and clear.

I am cruising through the course when I see a black shiny area on the road and my first thought is the car ahead was spilling somthing like oil so I stay clear. Just as I approach, I see a head come up and the the shiny black starts to sliver across the road. It looked huge and like a rattler.

I figure, we don't need poison snakes off track just in case someone gets the scare of there lives while going off track and perhaps getting out of the car, so I tell myself if the snake is still on the road my next pass, it will have to face a match with my red snake.

Sure enough it is still there and so I aim and feel the hit. Boy I was supprised at how the car jumped up when front/rear tires made contact on this thing. I am glad I was preppared because it I had not been, and was comming into the turn hot, it sure would have thrown the car off.

One of the workers goes out with a shovel and when he comes back in, he tells me it was a 4+ foot Rat Snake. I feel kinda bad at this point because I would have left it alone, if I did not think it was a rattler or some other poison type snake.

He then tells me that I avenged a mother bunny rabbit as the snake had just swallowed up some 10 tiny weeny baby rabbits and must have been out for a crawl to try and digest its luch. I guess that explains the double thud I felt when I drove over it.

I was there a couple weeks ago and someone hit a turtle, so a fox thought he would help clean the track...we almost hit the fox twice. :omg:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, nice story. I would have been concerned about getting splattered with gutts. you might have a few bunnies stuck in your wheelwells:)

Last trackday at NJMP we had a turtle crossing the track right at the tightest turn on the course:omg:

So let this be a lesson to all. I see how some could assume that a racetrack is clean with no obticles,
but in reality anything can pop up... :pigsfly: :mf: :dog: :horse:

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems like a ton of fun. I noticed you have to purchase a membership and pay monthly dues. Is there a way you can just pay per visit? Not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost...

Only way around membership is going with a car club like Porsche Club or others for a 1 or 2 day DE. I have seen and met several very nice Snake owners at 2 PCA events in the past year.

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was there a couple weeks ago and someone hit a turtle, so a fox thought he would help clean the track...we almost hit the fox twice. :omg:

Interesting, I did not know we had Foxes around that part of Texas. Could it have been a Coyote?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you probably hit was a black snake. Rattlers are lighter in color with a pattern. Black snakes eat rats, mice, moles, and gophers among other critters. So many people kill them because they fear all snakes. Now we have a imbalance of moles and gophers, at least here in Oklahoma. Black snakes are more afraid of people than people are of them. I say live and let live, unless they are a threat. MHO

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As oklone said, it probably was a black snake, which I've learned is a good one. They are gentle if not abused and will eat the bad snakes.
Being from the city and now living in Georgia for years I always thought all snakes were bad ones except a dead one, I was taught these are the good ones. Good to have around. They also eat the poisonous snakes

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, I did not know we had Foxes around that part of Texas. Could it have been a Coyote?

Pretty sure it was a fox...wait I think I had my video on in my car. I will check in a few days. I need to get the info off the trackmate.

I would swear it was red and had a fluffy tail.