Snake-oyl intake kit set off my CEL!!

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished installing Snake-oyl's intake kit on my 03 Vert, which includes the green filters, and the smooth intake tube, and it set off my CEL. I dont have a code reader so I cant provide any further info there. I have heard that this new system increasing the O2, will throw the computer off and illuminate the CEL for a while until it has time to learn over the next few hundred kms. After that, it will go out on its own. Is this true, or is it time to purchase a code reader and clear the CEL? (and yes plum I searched it first):)

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I made sure the O2 sensor was facing the right direction as well. (I know this will throw it if it is facing the wrong direction)

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible that you broke the sensor when re installing it in the new intake?

It was together when I put it in the new intake and I handled it very carefully. I even cut it away with a razor from the old so I wouldnt damage it by using too much force when pulling it away from the old intake. It is odd that it threw my CEL right?:dunno:

Im gonna order a code reader. Any thoughts on which one I should get?

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found some very useful info in an old thread from JonB at Partsrack.1) Emissions-ignitions faults are yellow-amber CEL codes, and are adaptive. They are self-clearing after 4-5 running cycles of NO FAULTS. Not 'ignition cycles'. That is IF the problem goes away and stays away. They will return after as few as one one run-fault cycle. The gas cap is a self-clearing code. Be patient...have you driven it 5 times?

2) RED CELS are much more serious, and immediate action should be taken.

3) I AM NOT AN ADVOCATE OF PULLING PCM POWER TO CLEAR THE MEMORY. It erases all 255 stored codes that would be helpful history to a tech and a computer-reader. And it is "hiding" or ignoring the underlying issues which could be hurting your car or components. AND: It resets all the adaptives to generic baselines, including the idle program and on later models some throttle programming. LAST RESORT ONLY.

Thanks Jon!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was together when I put it in the new intake and I handled it very carefully. I even cut it away with a razor from the old so I wouldnt damage it by using too much force when pulling it away from the old intake. It is odd that it threw my CEL right?:dunno:

Im gonna order a code reader. Any thoughts on which one I should get?

look into the PLX it has lots of cool features. and the ability to read and clear codes

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update!

So, I received some direction from Snake-oyl and they instructed me to pull the power source, turn on the head lights to drain any residual power, (for 30 sec.) then turn them off, reconnect the battery and see if the CEL is still indicated on the dash, (Although I was very apprehensive, I thought I would give them the opportunity to fix this, and now the CEL is clear!

I have put on another 200 miles on my mistress and nothing.

So what set off the CEL to begin with?!

Well, I did...

I re-read the install instructions from Snake-oil, and they state "**Note: Check the direction of the air temp sensor hole of the induction hose prior to installation." (please note that these are the only instructions for the entire install)

I re-traced my original install, and found it was installed correctly, according to limitted instruction.

I think what threw my CEL was my failure to disconnect the battery before I pulled the Temp. sensor, (or what I believed to previously be the O2 sensor) As such, with a hot disconnect, a CEL was the result..so my bad.

All is right again.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you get it fixed but this is why I shy away from a lot of aftermarket stuff, especially those items that do little for performance.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same kit on my 04 and have had no problems, I hope it clears up for you.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you get it fixed but this is why I shy away from a lot of aftermarket stuff, especially those items that do little for performance.

You are bang on. For the stress this mod has given me versus the increase in HP, which to be honest is insignificant, is not worth it. Money would have been better spent elsewhere.