SnakeCharmers back from the Bertil Roos Racing School!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty awesome trip for 20 folks who ventured to Virginia International Raceway for the Annual Woodhouse Wracers Gathering. The weather looked
tenuous, and having watched Superbikes racing in the rain on Sunday, we all feared it was going to be a water skiing race school. The rain gods smiled
on us, though, and we only had a small drizzle on the third day. The small taste of wet pavement in a Formula Car, was enough for some, but it many
of us had to admit it was a valuable lesson, and quite fun! The track is one that should be experienced by all, and the folks at Bertil Roos are unique
amongst all the schools we have attended. Consider no rev limiters for the first few days, no stopping after each lap for a review, passing on day one,
and no crash liability for the Intro class - this is HUGE!! With the classroom dwelling on many mental aspects and asking us to have an open mind, many
of the more experienced drivers found that they were soaking up knowledge/ideas not encountered before - this was absolutely the best classroom I
have sat through in 8 years. With 20 minute sessions, instead of the customary 15 that many other schools have, alot of us were able to really get into
a rhythm and improvements came quickly. We did have a little disagreement about doing the Slide cars , as many of us have done years of slide control
exercises, but I was the first to admit that we had never done anything remotely similar to these crazy rides. It was a hoot to drive cars around the
track , controlling the sliding nature, instead of doing little donuts on a wet skidpad in the parking lot - definitely a unique set-up. Overall, with speeds
up to 125mph, 2g loads in some corners, and the sheer enjoyment of running on one of America's Premier Road Courses , the 3 days were better than
expected --- it didn't hurt that the lunches were the best we have ever encountered at a race school. I would highly recommend Bertil Roos to anyone,
as the no liability clause ( which means no insurance purchase at usually $100 a day ), the superb classrooms, and the extremely competitive price with
more than average seat time, makes these guys the bargain school of the US. I know alot of us wish we had gone to one of their schools earlier. Check
them out at www.racenow.com or through www.racingschools.com ( 877-463-7223 , Robt. or Carlos ).

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry you couldn't be there Sonny,but hopefully you can join us next year. The Bertil Roos school is tops, so I can highly recommend to you and any of
your friends ---- sure I am talking about those Busch guys too, ha,ha !

1ylwvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

I also had a great time there. I thank you, and the whole Woodhouse Group, for organizing this trip and having me along.

I don't have any other racing school experiences to compare the Bertil Roos School to, but I thought it was well organized, professional, and very instructive. I must echo how nice the whole program was, and especially with the liability included.

They even let me get an extra session in with the last group since many people had to leave to catch flights and there was an open car. They offered the car to me before I had a chance to ask them. After the rain the track dried off and we had a great last session.

As you said the slide cars were quite unique. It was unusual, but fun driving them.

I enjoyed meeting and talking with the other attendees. Never a dull moment!

Regards,

Jeremy Walker
Illinois VCA Member

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

Concur. What a great time and a great bunch. I'm hooked on the formula cars and I'm signing up for the second course for advanced road racing. The instructors were professional and I learned a lot...by the last run...even in the rain my confidence in the car was up and my times down. Thanks for setting this up it was a great experience...now if we can just get TV's at the next hotel...

Paul :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456