Snapping Sound When Door Opened/Closed

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I was out running some chores in my '97 GTS I suddenly got a snapping sound when opening the driver's door; same sound when closing the door with a pronounced difficulty in swinging the door when the "snap region" is approached.

I couldn't do anything while on the road so I took a look when I got home. No obvious abrading of the hinge or hinge cover, no body/door interference, but I spied a couple of bright aluminum colored splinters in the void between the door and the hinge cover. A few more swings of the door produced a couple more shavings as the snapping continued and then suddenly the snapping stopped.

Whatever it was, it's gone (hopefully for good) but I'm puzzled as to the source of the snapping. Any ideas? Any like experiences?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a hinge going bad. I know the Chuckster, Mr. Wizard himself is stalking the forums.

Chuck...?

Have no fear, the Wizard is here! :D

Take the triangle panel off in front of the door, four 5/16 screws holding it on and make sure to count the shims that may be under each of the screws. Now your looking at the hinge, grease the "hill holder" [end closes to the body], it's the thin metal tab in the center of the hinge. If it's that dry of lubricant that it's popping, it WILL break soon! Viper door hinge #5245109 MSRP $275.00:omg: , grease $.10:smirk:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tator said...but I fear the metal tab is already busted. Does the "detent" work when the door is all the way open or does it now simply swing freely with no resistance? If the latter, the metal tab has fatigued and broken off.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Tator says. Remove the cover in front of the door then use a long screw drive with some grease on it and put it on both sides of the metal, plate, spring right on the curve. You can see it pop with the cover off. Been there done that!!! Mine broke and had to get a used one.

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Broke the tab on my '97 last year. I was able to repair it with my MIG welder. Didn't want to remove the hinge, so I carefully welded it together. Worked great.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Tator says. Remove the cover in front of the door then use a long screw drive with some grease on it and put it on both sides of the metal, plate, spring right on the curve. You can see it pop with the cover off. Been there done that!!! Mine broke and had to get a used one.

Yup, me too. Been there done that...

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mine broke a few months back but never looked to replace it. where can i get one now? from dodge with that part # given above or from a salvage yard :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness