So tell me How do I re-learn how to shift while drag racing

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is probably just a matter of more practice, but those of you who are good at power shifting what was your trick to learning to power shift under full throttle, I can't seem to break the habit of lifting when I shift or dragging the damn clutch.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never saw a real advantage to power shifting. Maybe if I had a 8 second car but not in a stock Viper. It's very ******* the equipment.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of powershifting, how much abuse can our trannies take? Assuming you are powershifting.

I know the tremecs you put in mustangs can take a hell of a beating. What about ours? Does our torque kill em.

OP
OP
J

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you don't power shift then how can you possibly get your car close to the times everyone likes to post. If I get a 2s 60 time on BFG Drag radials I'm doing well. I have hit a 1.9 as my best 60 time. I am being told that I am loosing time on my shifts and not keeping the car under full power through the entire run.

I have 600hpr at the rear wheels and my best run so far is

11.93s
2.1s 60 time
122 MPH trap
with a .2s reaction time

I was told corrected altitude for the atmospheric conditions was 6000 feet; the base altitude is 4200 feet.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are talking about dumping the clutch off the line. I wouldn't call that "power shifting." I'd call it "dumping the clutch off the line." I don't run DRs but I've heard guys talk of leaving at 5K. What rpm are leaving at?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dump it @ 5000 you're gonna leave something on the line.. sooner or later

:)

OP
OP
J

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not dumping the clutch at launch, maybe that's why my 60 times are a 2-2.2 seconds. I am launching at about 3000-3500 RPMs. I believe I am probably loosing time shifting from 2-3 and 3-4. I was told that I should shift under full throttle, which is what I am calling power shifting. Right foot stuck to the floor keeping that car at full throttle, quickly engage the clutch and shift as fast as you can into the gear you want. I can’t seem to get the knack of keeping my right foot slammed to the floor when I shift.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t seem to get the knack of keeping my right foot slammed to the floor when I shift.

Good. You'll be able to drive home instead of paying a tow truck.

As I said, I don't run DRs so I don't know if you need to dump the clutch off the line. I wouldn't think so but it sure would be fun as hell.

At 3K on DRs I'm guessing you're not spinning off the line. Do you squeeze the gas after launch? Practice, practice, practice.

Get Tom Welch's drag vid from www.BTRViper.com That old bastage has been drag racing for 80 years. He's proven on the dragstrip. I think the vid is about $20. Tell him I sent you and he'll knock 25 cents off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96