so what are the "must have mods" that should be done

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i got a 98 gts and have been wanting to do a little modding. The car is completely stock other than a corsa catback. I have been thinking of doing

cat deletes, I like them for the less heat output. Do they gain much power and how do they affect sound?
short shift knob (mdw i think it is?)
smooth tubes maybe? Are they worth it?
maybe some different brake setup with cross drilled and slotted rotors to help eliminate the brake squeaking that I can't stand.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i got a 98 gts and have been wanting to do a little modding. The car is completely stock other than a corsa catback. I have been thinking of doing

cat deletes, I like them for the less heat output. Do they gain much power and how do they affect sound?
maybe some different brake setup with cross drilled and slotted rotors to help eliminate the brake squeaking that I can't stand.

I say do the MGW Shift Handle. Then....

Add a supercharger, gears, port the heads and intake, Big Brake coversion, new wheels, and then big white hood vents...

All the mods that you are looking at are more or less worth it. I'm sure others will chime in on the cat delete as I have not done it (yet).

How do you like the sound of the Corsa cat back? I bought mine with a Corsa and I don't really like the sound. It's not "throaty" enough for me...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cat delete yes.
Open the front and rear of the side sills.
Smoothies yes.

If you're gonna track it get some duct work to the brakes.
If you're gonna drag it get some drag radials.
If you're gonna pose it get some Zaino.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ABs wires and some new plugs, possibly a VEC3 or SCT Tuner if you want to mess with tuning (which you will once you start modding).

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You've got the first mod (Corsa), cat delete will make it much louder with maybe a 5 hp gain. MGW shifter knob is a great addition. Get the factory ACR smooth tubes as they are curved and designed properly. Make sure you have stock pads as they don't squeel. 3:55 gears are a great addition to a naturally asprirated street car.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got the first mod (Corsa), cat delete will make it much louder with maybe a 5 hp gain. MGW shifter knob is a great addition. Get the factory ACR smooth tubes as they are curved and designed properly. Make sure you have stock pads as they don't squeel. 3:55 gears are a great addition to a naturally asprirated street car.

what about the head and cam package ????????????

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the rear is somewhat open already as the pipe turns toward the center of the car. Getting air into the front is likely the bigger gain. Or in the case of Dave's car, the ice cube generating vents... :D

You must be registered for see images

yeah, that is what is was thinking re the rear being open already.

great job and pic of the ice machine thru the side splitter - (i must have missed this shot before)

the heat is beginnig to be a problem as we are hitting the 90's now, front vents coming soon

:drive:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about the head and cam package ????????????

The best mod for sure, but I figured the other mods are stepping stones. Heads and cam = much deeper pockets. Oh and the brake recommendation (Toms or Dave's kit) depending on your pocket book is a very good one. The way I see it, if you're a new owner or thinking about it, by the time you do all the mods to make a Gen II as quick as a Gen IV AND as reliable you should have bought a Gen IV. Some guys may disagree but it's a fact.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best mod for sure, but I figured the other mods are stepping stones. Heads and cam = much deeper pockets. Oh and the brake recommendation (Toms or Dave's kit) depending on your pocket book is a very good one. The way I see it, if you're a new owner or thinking about it, by the time you do all the mods to make a Gen II as quick as a Gen IV AND as reliable you should have bought a Gen IV. Some guys may disagree but it's a fact.

It's not a fact. A fact is something that can be proven scientifically or confirmed with empirical evidence. What you are talking about is just a "matter of opinion" because the looks are so much different. I would rather have the looks of a Gen 2 and then mod it if I wanted more power to match a Gen IV. But, that is my opinion and may not fit with other people. To each his/her own. :)

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's too many car-ignorant people that confuse the SRT Vipers with a corvette or an S2000. :dunno: :crazy2: I've heard too many "look at that corvette" comments toward them. :nono: The Gen II seem pretty much on their own and don't get confused with anything else.....well maybe a clown shoe lol. :rolaugh:

As far as mods; hi-flow cats, x-pipe cat-back, and brakes were first on my list. I just ordered everything from Jon B at PartsRack last week. :drive::D My primary concern was to reduce the heat on the side sills, plus I wanted an improved exhaust note and better brakes with less brake dust.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start by doing some searching. There are tons of diff projects that you can do. Depending on whether you want to enhance looks or performance, that should determine the route you may wanna take. I did a lil of both (mostly performance).

Start with a budget if you have one. Also take into consideration who will be doing the modding (you or a shop). If a shop is gonna take care of these items, add the labor cost and be careful who you choose to work on it.

My suggestions: Eibachs, smooth tubes, cat delete, mgw short knob, trans & motor mounts, brakes, headers, interior upgrades, tires, forced induction.... in that order.

Best of luck and enjoy.

:usa:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first figure out what the final RWHP you want or can live with. then build slowly to there.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a fact. A fact is something that can be proven scientifically or confirmed with empirical evidence. What you are talking about is just a "matter of opinion" because the looks are so much different. I would rather have the looks of a Gen 2 and then mod it if I wanted more power to match a Gen IV. But, that is my opinion and may not fit with other people. To each his/her own. :)

I think your not getting my point here, I listed mods that I thought were basic and enhance the overall performance factor within a realistic budget for a Gen II. I have no argument with you regarding the looks of a Gen I or II vs. the Gen IV but as you know that's just different taste. My point here is that my friend asked why I did'nt include Heads and Cam into the fold. I just stated why I did'nt add that into the equation, and I'm well aware of the definition of a "fact" . I still stand by my statement ;) no offense to any generation owners as I drive a Gen II and I love it.

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea eventually the final goal is a forced induction setup. For right now I'd like to do the smaller mods until I can afford to drop the car off at UPR and have them work their magic.

Where can i get some information about brake upgrades? I want to eliminate the squeaking and get cross drilled/slotted rotors

so far these mods are happening for sure:

HID headlights from R&J
MGW shift knob
some type of brake upgrade
new floormats

these i'm thinking about still:
Opinions on the Eibach lowering springs? They too low?
cat delete
smooth tubes
getting blue stripes painted on the silver

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear sill is capped with a piece riveted in. I am in the process of having vertical louvers cut. When I get it finished I'll post pics.

thanks chuck, looking fwd to your pics and results - (do you already have the front of sills vented so you are creating a tunnel)?

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It depends on how much you want to spend.

Are you looking for power?

Handling

Brakes?

IMOP on all Viper here is what needs to go first. I am going to assume you want to keep it close to stock power levels without wanting 1000rwhp or more.

1.) Shift Knob

2.) Change Fluids/ Tune up (Plugs, wires, oil, trans and diff)

3.) Replace the T-Stat with a 170-180 degree unit.

4.) Tires (PS Cup tires or better...tires make a HUGE differance in the car)

5.) SRT Brakes....all of them

6.) T&D Roller rockers

7.) Tune (SCT, Split Sec, VEC (if you don't mind the troubles with them do a search)

At this point you are ready to add power if you want it. These are the basic mods. By the time you get this done, you will know if you want to run more than 600rwhp N/A, 800rwhp S/C system or go crazy with at 1500rwhp+ Turbo monster.

Best of luck.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea eventually the final goal is a forced induction setup. For right now I'd like to do the smaller mods until I can afford to drop the car off at UPR and have them work their magic.

Where can i get some information about brake upgrades? I want to eliminate the squeaking and get cross drilled/slotted rotors

so far these mods are happening for sure:

HID headlights from R&J
MGW shift knob
some type of brake upgrade
new floormats

these i'm thinking about still:
Opinions on the Eibach lowering springs? They too low?
cat delete
smooth tubes
getting blue stripes painted on the silver

Who's UPR?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm. Just like the "What's the best color?" threads end up being useless, so has this thread gone off the deep end.

Modding is so much an individual thing that it is almost silly to ask what is a "must have" mod. I mean, smooth tubes and filters are not even OK for a purist, as you are messing up the car doing that. So all you get is everyone's personal list that they either have done to their car or will do if they get the money some day. Just like asking what the best color is...

The only "must have" mods are the ones you can't live without. And it will change in logarithmic proportion to how many times your ass is handed to you by a Honda.

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been upgrading my '98 GTS the last few months and have been very happy with the results. Most of the work was done by Woodhouse and there was already some work tastefully done by the previous owner. So far it's, Belanger headers, Hurst short throw shifter, corsa cat back and freeflow cats, Momo steering wheel, tom's big brake upgrade, k&N air box and smooth tubes, Roe racing fan, clear side market lights, Fidenza lightweight flywheel, 3.55 gears, stainless power steering pulley, AB silicone plug wires, and I'm sure a few other things that don't come to mind right now. Larger rotors may be next (uroteks?) but that will most likely mean new/larger wheels and then the Roe SC.

There hasn't been a lot of discussion about headers but that would be near the top of my list.

The steering wheel improves the look of the interior 100% but you give up the airbag and the horn.

Good Luck - it's addictive:D

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been upgrading my '98 GTS ...Momo steering wheel my list.

The steering wheel improves the look of the interior 100% but you give up the airbag and the horn.

Good Luck - it's addictive:D

Any pics of the Momo installed? Whatca do for a horn?..did you go to racing seatbelts?