So where does the Vette vs. Viper horsepower war......

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
END????

Is there a limit? 600/ 700/ 800HP . Where do the higher ups draw the line?

What level (smog, MPG, ect.)becomes impractical to warranty??

I haven't a clue that's why I ask! ;)

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
END???? Is there a limit? 600/ 700/ 800HP . Where do the higher ups draw the line? What level (smog, MPG, ect.)becomes impractical to warranty?? I haven't a clue that's why I ask! ;)

May it never end; what great automotive times for us enthusiasts! :cool:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep in mind we run out of Crude oil by 2040 according to "Oil and Gas Industry" a monthy oil business rag...

At least that's the latest estimates.

So by year 2500 we'd better have a new fuel in mind... :)

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Others may be able to add to this list, but horsepower limits will be determined by:
a. The marketplace maintaining a financial (expenditure) interest in high horsepower (probable)
b. Combined with whether the sale of such vehicles creates great revenue for the manufacturer (improbable)
c. And/or serve as a flagship that sells sedans, SUVs and trucks (possible)
d. Adding on: any increase in accident created insurance costs (likely)
e. Never forgetting: "left wing environmental wackos" who feel that children, eagles and wildlife preserves are forever lost if performance cars are driven on weekends.

In toto, I strongly believe that Ford looked long and hard at the GT-40 concept and as to whether it would positively impact the sales of their entire line. Similarly, I do not believe it is smooth sailing for the Corvette people to make a case to Chevrolet that this is the best use of development funds.

Perhaps the best question is:
Did my buying a DODGE Viper result in me buying or recommending other DODGE vehicles? In and of itself, the Viper is not something that would sustain a company (and may not be met with enthusiasm when there is German ownership. Remember that Germany routinely criticizes Americans for spending too much on what they consider frivolity).

Alas, decisions are made in board rooms based upon fiscal numbers, not the pleas of end users.

The auto show should tell us what the corporate thinking is. Personally, I would not swap for a Z06 based solely on horsepower, and I do not need/want creature comforts.

rbarta

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure the HP war ever ends and not just for these two vehicles. (That is unless the feds up CAFE or sets a minimum fuel efficiency per vehicle or makes emissions reqs even tougher. And with all the high HP cars being built today, that is a real possibility, I hate to say.)

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'd be as worried about the HP war, as the weight war.

The new Z06 is now about as light as a stock Comp Coupe.

A lighter car has many advantages over just upping horses.

Namely, less wear and tear on parts, more grip, easier to launch, etc. basically, an all-around better car.

From what I've been hearing about the Coupe, the days of the Viper being on-top performance-wise are gone. :(

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"From what I've been hearing about the Coupe, the days of the Viper being on-top performance-wise are gone."

We'll have to wait and see on that one. I seriously doubt it. We are living through a horsepower and performance revolution. The new glory days. Look at the performance numbers of all of the new performance cars. The Viper stacks up favorably to anything out there. Some are better at some things. We are about to enter a time where no one car is going to be able to claim the obvious crown. The Viper is going to always be one of the cars that can make a legitimate claim to that crown.

I doubt that the new Vette, which I'm sure I'll like, will make the Viper obsolete or suddenly not desirable. I doubt that many Viper owners would be willing to trade. I'll bet that many new Chevy owners would.

Dirk

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m not married anymore but I know exactly how my wife would have reacted if she were to come across a Viper and a Z06.

She would have seen the Viper and said “Holy Cow!! Look at that cool car!! What is that?”

She would have seen the Z06 and said “I can’t believe that guy put those goofy looking fenders on his Corvette”.

The important thing to remember is that 99% of the people out there are the same way. All the HP in the world is not going to change that. That’s why Vipers will always rule.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the HP in the world is not going to change that. That’s why Vipers will always rule.

not really because Viper made its name because of its power amung other things but mostly was the power it WILL lose respect if a vette beats it.

Look at it this way the the last z06 only had as much power (but less TQ) as the first year viper.

DODGE NEEDS TO STEP IT UP AND GIVE US A VETTE KILLER.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<. Never forgetting: "left wing environmental wackos" who feel that children, eagles and wildlife preserves are forever lost if performance cars are driven on weekends.>

-as a child, i was forever lost, when my karate instructor drove up in his new lambo (from his coke proceeds), and i decided i wanted one too....so the left wingers do have a valid argument there

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind we run out of Crude oil by 2040 according to "Oil and Gas Industry" a monthy oil business rag...

We will never run out of crude oil. Economics 101... as the supply gets smaller and smaller prices will get higher and higher until things equalize. We may have to spend $40 per gallon but we will always have gasoline.

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Guyver1 . The Viper can stay on top if it can lose some weight. There are some great lessons to learn in the Viper Vs Lotus Elise track comparison. As we know it's all about power to weight ratio. Maybe DC can free up some of those carbon fiber bits from the Carbon Coupe to save some weight. Like many of you I'm waiting for the Viper coupe to debut. I haven't seen any after market CF parts for the SRT 10 so I guess DC needs to step up to the plate. If they are to expensive for standard production they could offer them as an option. This would be more cost effective to the buyer vs buying after market stuff. I would like to see the following CF parts available for the SRT , Hood , Rear deck lid. Front fenders etc.. Or maybe the can offer a light "club sport" or " ACR " model ??