Sold my 2003 gen 3 today

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah and trust me they woulda put that on their lot for 52k or more.What happened to the days when a dealer made a few thousand dollars on a trade and not tens of thousands!

No kiddin' Isn't greed part of the reason the big three were in trouble to begin with?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disclosed my accident to the buyer. My asking price was 39,999. It was a single car accident happened back in 2009 when I drove in ice. He ran a car fax on it. It was didn't disclose much information on car fax.

I bought this car in 2008 at a dealer at New Jersey for 40,900 but I paid my local tax/title myself and I always felt the car was in a minor front end accident but it wasn't reported. It was a ebay car.

Part of me now that I felt like I should gotten couple grands more. I am not desparate for cash or anything. Right now I got no car payment, no insurance, cash going to bank on monthly quicker than ever.

I called TomBall dodge and spoke with them about trading in my 03 for a newer viper. They told me on the phone that they are giving 27-29k on 03 trade in. I never took my car to carmax for appraisal.

Could have called Jon Gastman at Roanoke... :) Well, that just tells me if I want a laugh next time I trade Vipers I need to call TomBall. :lmao: But, I bet I could still trade with them... takes time...

One more thing. If they are only giving that then you would need a huge discount on the car you are buying, which in all fairness to TomBall, they may have given. See, in a trade... difference is the only thing that matters, period. You gave up too easy.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to hear stories like this. Just fuels the fire for the next "low ball" give away and screws the decent cars that are for sale. Someone says "I know of a guy that got an 03 for 32K so your 04 is only worth 35". What a joke. Unless you're really hurting for money these low priced Vipers are not going to disappear. If we stick together we can begin to build the value back to where they should be. JMHO

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys miss the part where he said the car had been hit?

No, I did not miss that. So the value goes from low 40's to low 30's from a fender bender? $10K or around a 25% decrease in value? Just curious... :dunno: Too much discount if it was fixed correctly IMO. I better make sure I have "decreased value" insurance in case if the car loses that much value.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i woke up this morning and wonder if i made a bad deal selling the car for 32k. I found a convertible at 32.9k and it is a 2005 too. It makes me feel a little better. Sure, my car doesn't have a lemon title or a salvage title but a clear clean title with accident on carfax.

Dodge : Viper - eBay (item 190517294667 end time Apr-07-11 14:00:00 PDT)

Having been to that place above to buy a truck, I wouldn't buy a Pinto if it rolled through their lot. I left without buying, and did very well not to take a few crackheads out as I left. When you show up to a dealership that has cops manning the doors, you probably should just turn around and leave. No joke.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys miss the part where he said the car had been hit?

Very true Red, and Bernie would certainly disclose it, which is hard for a dealership to then move. I too am surprised they made an offer, and in reality, it would have been better not to have in this scenario.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i woke up this morning and wonder if i made a bad deal selling the car for 32k. I found a convertible at 32.9k and it is a 2005 too. It makes me feel a little better. Sure, my car doesn't have a lemon title or a salvage title but a clear clean title with accident on carfax.

Dodge : Viper - eBay (item 190517294667 end time Apr-07-11 14:00:00 PDT)

Sorry for my ignorance, but this was in the ebay advertisement. What are they talking about--never heard of this?

"Please note: This unit was purchased back from the original owner. As such, it is being sold with a Manufacture Buy Back Title. Buy with Confidence, not only has this issue been corrected, it is also covered under our 3 Day Buy Back Guarantee as well as our Certified Pre-Owned Program."

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but this was in the ebay advertisement. What are they talking about--never heard of this?

"Please note: This unit was purchased back from the original owner. As such, it is being sold with a Manufacture Buy Back Title. Buy with Confidence, not only has this issue been corrected, it is also covered under our 3 Day Buy Back Guarantee as well as our Certified Pre-Owned Program."

Sounds like a lemon law buy back.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mousetom78, did you leave maybe $1-2 K on the table, who knows? Sounds like you got a quick sale and moved on, good luck with your next viper, lot's of nice Gen III coupes can be bought in the mid 40's. Also, if you posted before the sale the condition, accident, tires and pictures, 1/2 these guys on this thread would be telling you your car would sell for less than you got. Best wishes!

George, if you go and look at the Autocheck it's a lemon law buyback. They happen for a very wide variety of reasons, (and CA is more consumer friendly than most) subsequently sold at auction and reason was disclosed (and the subsequent retail buyer signed a form acknowledging it).

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having been to that place above to buy a truck, I wouldn't buy a Pinto if it rolled through their lot. I left without buying, and did very well not to take a few crackheads out as I left. When you show up to a dealership that has cops manning the doors, you probably should just turn around and leave. No joke.

Those were my feeling exactly!! Went there last year to help my Nephew buy a Tahoe and.............PASS!! We walked out much quicker than we walked in.