sold my C6Z06 and got a 08 coupe

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gear makes the most difference for the Z and the traction control does the rest. This is only noticable from a dead stop. It is not uncommon for the Z to jump out 2-3 car lengths on the street. From a roll it is a different story.

The 3:55's have been ordered for mine. It will not make the 2008 quicker but will give it that 1st gear snap thats missing as well as better highway gearing for 6th gear.

Not true. Anyone who knows anything about driving will turn that traction control OFF! It will cause for a worse launch. Traction control is put in there to save the car, not help it get a better 60' heh

Also, the C6Z is a highway monster. The first 3 gears are geared VERY high. I believe the shift points are almost identical the the Viper with the 3:07 gears (at least the older SRT's).

1st goes to 62mph, 2nd to 93, and 3rd to 125. 4th goes to 155, and 6th pretty much can't be used below 70mph.

I raced a guy several times who had an '04 SRT when I was stock. He ended up buying an '05 Copperhead months later. He had a 3:73 in the '04 when I met him, and I raced him with the 3:07, then also with the 3:55 he got in the Copperhead. I blew his doors off with all 3 sets of gears, from any speed. Ironically enough, we were closest from low speeds or a dig because the Viper hooks better (or maybe I just wasn't familiar enough with my car yet).

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '08 has the same gears as the '03 - '06, right?

I'm just saying that the Vette has a different final drive ratio, but the lower gears are seemingly as "long" as the Vipers. I really don't think it's that big of a difference.

The C5 Z06's even accelerate differently than the C6's, even though they both have a 3:42. The C5's 1st - 3rd gears are geared differently than the C6's.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '08 has the same gears as the '03 - '06, right?

I'm just saying that the Vette has a different final drive ratio, but the lower gears are seemingly as "long" as the Vipers. I really don't think it's that big of a difference.

The C5 Z06's even accelerate differently than the C6's, even though they both have a 3:42. The C5's 1st - 3rd gears are geared differently than the C6's.

There are many factors with gear combinations. Horsepower,torque,weight,traction and drag. If any one thing is different the right gear for the application changes. The best gear for slicks,street tires,road racing,and drag racing all are different with the same car. You should base the gear on how you plan to drive city,highway,curves or straights.

Having driven both cars and having tried different gears the answer to the question for me is to go with the 3:55's to get the same or similar feel off the line as the Z06.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, gears will not make the car any quicker just feel quicker.

We are talking about 2008 w/600hp not 2003-2006 w/500hp:drive:

How can it feel quicker but not be quicker? It seems to me a higher gear has to help acceleration.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can it feel quicker but not be quicker? It seems to me a higher gear has to help acceleration.

Good question. Without getting into power,weight or drag. In the quarter or eighth mile There is a specific distance lets use 1320'. One rotation of a tire lets say is 6' of distance. That is 220 rotations with no wheelspin. The driveshaft with 3.07 gears turns 3 times for every tire revolution. The driveshaft with 3.55 turns 3.5 times per tire revolution. The higher gear spools up quicker but travels less distance,so at the end of the quarter the 3.55's will be at a higher rpm or higher gear giving the illusion of being faster.

Just a minimalist answer not completely accurate.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The way I understand it, shortening a gear ratio will increase torque. So typically a car with a lot of torque (the Viper for instance) can go with a higher gear.

Now, I'm not sure if this still be the IDEAL gear for acceleration or not. It seems like the 3:42 is a very good gear for the new Z. Even though the low gears are very tall, it has a lot of torque and seems to acelerate very well even to 60 and 100mph.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. Without getting into power,weight or drag. In the quarter or eighth mile There is a specific distance lets use 1320'. One rotation of a tire lets say is 6' of distance. That is 220 rotations with no wheelspin. The driveshaft with 3.07 gears turns 3 times for every tire revolution. The driveshaft with 3.55 turns 3.5 times per tire revolution. The higher gear spools up quicker but travels less distance,so at the end of the quarter the 3.55's will be at a higher rpm or higher gear giving the illusion of being faster.

Just a minimalist answer not completely accurate.

Ray,

You forgot the most important ingredient to this whole formula. The Driver. God knows how many times we've crossed each others' path. Fighting for those trophys. Are you going to Bradenton? The club is going to be going as an event.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Ivan,

Yes, I plan on going this year. Hope to see you there.

When are the details on the club event coming out?

Ray

Ray,

Should be out in the next day or two. Are you racing out there this year? With all the entries, it should make for a really interesting event. Heard Lee Saunders in his TT Viper is trying to break into the 6's. Is that true?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Torque increases with higher gear ratios, not hp. More torque causes more wheelspin.

For the quartermile you gear the car for the end of the quarter mile. My car needed another shift with 3;55 gears and slowed down because of that so the 3:08s are back in the car.

Shifting and tire spin 'feels' fast and scary, but they are actually the differences between fast and slow that cause the "fast" feeling.

Ted

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan, not sure if I will be racing or not or what car I will bring. I have my pilot's license now and may just fly over for Sunday. I would like to cruise over with others members as well.

I don't really keep in contact with the Central FL guys,but the power they are making certainly makes it possible. However I wouldn't think they would use anything Viper related from the engine back.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

We're going to make a weekend out of it. Dates are December 12-14. Doug is going and is a sponsor as well. I think he has a Lambo running in there along with some of his other Vipers. Probably leave Saturday early and come back Sunday. I think that's the ticket. Hope to see you before that.

Also, going to start back our meetings at Tower Shops starting next Friday. Try to come out then. Brooks bought a new daily driver he's bringing out there. I already gave him grief for not getting an ACR. He bought a GTR.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from a C6Z with headers, intake and tuning to my '08 Viper Coupe. The Z was VERY fast and both cars were faster at different shift points. Overall, the viper is just stronger, pulls stronger and handles much better (Vette's steering is too vague). Fit, finish and materials and WOW factor are far superior in the Viper.

Stock for stock, the Viper is faster than the C6Z.

My '08 Viper has only Corsa track exhaust. It is stronger at 3k mi. than it was at 2k mi.