Solo II first event, looking for advice, tips

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well on 3/31 (weather permitting) I'm going to enjoy my very first SoloII event. This will be my first time racing with turns involved and I can't wait. I'm looking to get two things out of participating in SoloII, one is learn to drive the viper better (which I hope to follow up with a school someday), two to have fun playing with the car like I can't on the regular road. A third more covert goal is to not be too much of an embarrasment to the viper community either.

I'm just looking for advice for a new (8 weeks, 1500 miles) viper owner & first time autocrosser.

Thanks,

Dave.

Reaction score
well i dont have a viper but im goign to be auto-xing this year too.

from all teh people i have talked to about it the common answer is to just have fun. Dont go all out and take your time learning your car. try to walk the course before you make a run to make yourself familiar with it as much as you can. One other thing is dont be afraid to ask questions and dont be pissed if you lose, because odds are you will your first time out.

Just have a good time.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With only 1500 miles on a 2000 Viper, I am tempted to sayy your p/s fluid is probably OK, but why risk it? Consider changing the p/s fluid to a redline or even Valvoline synthetic. You could smell a drip off the dipstic....smell "burned" at all?

Siphon out the old ($6 suction pump or turkey baster!).... Refill and steer lock-lock-lock-lock a few times. Siphon out AGAIN and refill. Cap on TIGHT. Very Tight.

If your windshield squirt bottle is brim-ful, LOWER the level by 1/4 - 1/3. It could slop.

All loose "stuff" out of car. esp mats.

Tire pressure to "normal" + 2lbs for starters. Have center cap tool handy, as they may ask you to pull them.

Wear "small" comfortable shoes for walking and driving. Wear loose clothing, esp in shoulders/sleeves.

Consider pulling the "Sport Shims" from under your front suspension mounts. Huge turn-in bonus. Huge. 1-day OK, even if you dont reset the toe.... Honest!

WALK the course ahead of time if offered. Very important. "Pretend" to be driving as you walk....use sightlines as a driver, not a walker. I even "Mime" the steering wheel in tricky corners to rehearse...looks goofy, but helps me. Determine the correct exit and STOP point. Remember it.

Launch easily.....1500-1800 rpm.

Don't plan on a lot of shifting.....you might run the entire course in 2nd or even 3rd the 1st time. Look for smoothe flow the first lap...speed comes later. "Roollll" on the throttle...don't mash it.

Look WAAAaaaayyy ahead of your position in the cones. Constantly plan ahead for the next entry point, and its exit.

Stay WIDE WIDE WIDE til as late as possible.

Dont look back.....cones are OK. Wastes time looking forward.

Do you have a helmet? They probably have loaners. (icky!)

Don't Show Off ! There will be LOTS of eager, experienced hungry 'instructors' who CRAVE a ride with you to help you. Don't hand over then keys unless you truly know and trust the driver.

ENJOY ! The VCA has a National Autocross Challene, where regional drivers win the chance to drive vs. Team Viper.

Have fun on Day One......get better. Kick ASP later......

JonB

DWParsons1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck! Ditto to all of JonB's comments - if you have not yet read the Solo II Novice handbook, I would highly reccommend that you invest some time - check out
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Many of JonB's comments are echoed in the handbook and more track tips are included as well.

My .02 - go easy for your first time out - most of the more embarrassing moments you are trying to avoid occur because you are reacting to(rather than controlling) the car. Take it easy and work up to the car's potential - no matter how good you think you are, you won't be an expert in a single weekend. Have fun!

OP
OP
D

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the great tips and resource links! I just started reading a handbook on solo racing & I'll hit those links too. The scca coordinator has hooked me up with a guy running a Z06 so I can ride with him first & I'll be buddied with an experienced driver as well.

Man I can't wait!

Thanks everyone,
Dave.

Reaction score
Sounds like you are off to a very good start. You may want to let the Z06 pilot run the course in your car with you as the co-pilot. It helps to see what your car can do in the hands of an experienced pilot.

Sounds like great fun, hope you have fun!

Reaction score
Jon B has good advise. I have a little more, some a repeat because it is most critical for good lap times. Tire pressure, start with 38-40 on the front and 35-36 on the rear. When you get serious mark the outer tire edge with chalk to determine the tire edge roll. This will serve as a guide for tire pressure changes. Read the following: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm
Lots of good information in this hand book. Our region had an Autocross school last week and it was great. We had new drivers start at 50-52 seconds and end the day with 43.6 area which was a tremendous improvement. And that time put them in the hunt for the best time, close but no Cigar in this case. Best time with street tires was 32.9 with an instructor driving. Best time with Hoosiers was Rich Bontempi at 39.xx in the AM and 40.xx in the reverse course direction in the pm. Bontempi has been racing (drag strips in his youth and now road racing )for well over 20 years. His does the autocross school to get more seat time and keep the eyes, hands and feet connected to the brain. Point being practice, practice, makes you faster. Walk the course a couple times and it may help to draw it on paper. You launch will Depend on the starting gate configuration, get to 2nd gear as soon as practical. Learn to look way ahead, when entering a turn you should be looking at the entrance to the next turn. It is easy to get confused with the sea of cones so concentrate on where you and the course are going, look ahead, look ahead. More important than exact tite pressure, look ahead, look ahead. Have Fun! If the event allows passengers ask the fastest Corvette or BP driver to ride with you for advise.

Reaction score
yeah if you can get an instructor to go with you that would be excellent. They would able to give you advice, but point out things most novices wouldnt notice.

good luck to you

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If this is your first Autocross, I would make one additional comment - KEEP IT SIMPLE. You are getting alot of good advice, but the first time you go, just try to soak up alot of items and spend time walking the course. Fred is right on about the tire pressures and they will vary based on how tight the course is. I wholeheartedly agree that you should ride with someone, but I would not let anyone drive your car until you really get to know them or are supremely confident in their ability. After over 20 years of Autocrossing and Instructing, I have found many drivers of other cars jump into the Viper ( obviously this has been over the past 8-9 years ) and they missed shifts or hit the gas instead of the brake. Seen two of them do complete donuts prior to making the first turn. Enjoy your car, have a great time with all the gawkers ( you will garner plenty of attention ) and get to second gear as quick as possible ( short-shift ).

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any events like this in the Delaware, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Maryland area?

Sounds like fun!

Reaction score
The SCCA has Solo II events across the country. Check their web site for events in your area. http://www.scca.org/
We play with the Sacramento Chapter because they lay out courses more suitable for Vipers/Vettes. The San Francisco area Solo II course layout is more suited to Neons. Other auto club have auotcross events as well. Check with your local VCA president for events in your area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960