Solutions for peeling interior plastic door strips?

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd much rather have visible bolts than the way it looks now, half peeling off half splitting down the middle

Russell I think it looks great, please keep us posted if you start to sell these

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd much rather have visible bolts than the way it looks now, half peeling off half splitting down the middle

Russell I think it looks great, please keep us posted if you start to sell these

Thanks. That was precisely my thought, the broken strips really took the interior of the car way down. Sure was not going to replace them with the same faulty materials. I will let you know about sales provided there is enough interest to warrant making more of these.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. For those who don’t like the look of the socket cap screws, perhaps some button head screws could be used instead which would be a lower profile. Black anodized aluminum screws would also help them blend in better. Here is one website for these although I’m not sure what size hardware is required:

http://www.fastener-express.com/aluminum-fasteners-nuts-washers.aspx

With either of these options you'd have to be more careful not to strip the head.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just totally destroyed mine when removing the panel to get at the window. I might as well have been using a touch activated explosive tipped screw driver. The strip is no longer connected to the lower "T" part of it that holds it to the door. Pretty sure I'm f'd.

We'll see what creative solution I come up with tomorrow. UUuuuuuuuugh.

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks good. For those who don’t like the look of the socket cap screws, perhaps some button head screws could be used instead which would be a lower profile. Black anodized aluminum screws would also help them blend in better. Here is one website for these although I’m not sure what size hardware is required:

http://www.fastener-express.com/aluminum-fasteners-nuts-washers.aspx

With either of these options you'd have to be more careful not to strip the head.

No doubt. All options as to the fasteners are on the table. All depends on the interest though. I am told, every single Viper has or will have this problem. Somewhat surprised that given that fact, there is not more interest for a solution as I hardly think people are forking over $1K for the cheap/defective replacement part.

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just totally destroyed mine when removing the panel to get at the window. I might as well have been using a touch activated explosive tipped screw driver. The strip is no longer connected to the lower "T" part of it that holds it to the door. Pretty sure I'm f'd.

We'll see what creative solution I come up with tomorrow. UUuuuuuuuugh.

I am originally from Milwaukee and so is my Viper. What did you come up with so far?

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why did you move to Miami?!

So far I just superglued it back together. But thats only temporary. I will be looking into something else this winter...

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So why did you move to Miami?!

So far I just superglued it back together. But thats only temporary. I will be looking into something else this winter...

Moved to Miami for law school and the beautiful weather. I tried the super glue option several times, it is just a patch job as they will peel and buckle up again, perhaps in a different place until the strips are entirely cracked and worthless.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking forward to a few other opts that you guys can come up with.

King_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw one on ebay a few weeks ago that had some sort of carbon fiber strip in place. Has anyone tried having the piece wrapped? 3M black or something?

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The piece that breaks is really just a simple "T" extrusion. It has a properly thick vertical part of the T that is maybe 1" long, and then at the top of the T is where its weak. They sandwich a piece of foil-thin sheet metal in between two even thinner plastic layers. The thin plastic layers are the problem, because that breaks so easily.

I would want to re-measure because this is only going off of memory, but I would think the piece is maybe 1-1.5" tall and 0.5-5/8ths" wide. Just get some aluminum, wrap it in vinyl or anodize it black, and call it a day!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The piece that breaks is really just a simple "T" extrusion. It has a properly thick vertical part of the T that is maybe 1" long, and then at the top of the T is where its weak. They sandwich a piece of foil-thin sheet metal in between two even thinner plastic layers. The thin plastic layers are the problem, because that breaks so easily.

I would want to re-measure because this is only going off of memory, but I would think the piece is maybe 1-1.5" tall and 0.5-5/8ths" wide. Just get some aluminum, wrap it in vinyl or anodize it black, and call it a day!

Nope, it is not that shape. The strip is actually a combination shape that you would get if you put a "T" and "C" together. The door panel slides into the trim strip. It is also curved, which could of course be added later, but in any case, its a difficult shape to make, and unlike anything I have seen used in another application. Only Mopar would run the metal strip in the top section, rather than in the "C" channel- the ONLY place it needs major reinforcement. No excuse for how pathetic these strips are.

I might take a look into this again if I get some time this winter. This is seemingly turning into a pretty major problem these days.

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope, it is not that shape. The strip is actually a combination shape that you would get if you put a "T" and "C" together. The door panel slides into the trim strip. It is also curved, which could of course be added later, but in any case, its a difficult shape to make, and unlike anything I have seen used in another application. Only Mopar would run the metal strip in the top section, rather than in the "C" channel- the ONLY place it needs major reinforcement. No excuse for how pathetic these strips are.

I might take a look into this again if I get some time this winter. This is seemingly turning into a pretty major problem these days.

Yup, that would be the entire point of this topic and the solution that I crafted. It appears from the tenor of the latest comments is that everyone just wants to do R&D and create their own solution which is entirely fine by me. The point is that it can be done. Good luck to you all and let me see what you come up with.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The finished product/solution is not enough?
No offence intended but, I would not use your solution as it sticks up too far for my taste. Maybe if it was rounded off and there was a better way to attach it.

Personally, i think the best idea would be to try the Gen 4 upgraded ones. Maybe someone here has done that and can tell us how it worked out.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offence intended but, I would not use your solution as it sticks up too far for my taste. Maybe if it was rounded off and there was a better way to attach it.

Personally, i think the best idea would be to try the Gen 4 upgraded ones. Maybe someone here has done that and can tell us how it worked out.

Gen 4 ones fit straght on. They are twice as thick. You can still break them if you pull the door panel off incorrectly, but I don't think I would be able to crack them just sitting on the car.

Don scharf has used ones.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled mine off and split them in half using the top piece with 3M double sided tape to stick them back in position.
It looks good and you can hardly tell.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would I be remembering correctly if I said that I heard the trim strip only comes with the purchase of an entire door card?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't tell for sure. But isn't #6 in the diagram the strip
No, the strip we are talking about is attached to the inner door panel.

How much are Gen IV strips?
Last I checked they were 200 each! :omg:

Would I be remembering correctly if I said that I heard the trim strip only comes with the purchase of an entire door card?
Yep. You CAN'T get them anywhere. Not even from the scrap yard places. Something definately needs to be developed.

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, the strip we are talking about is attached to the inner door panel.

Last I checked they were 200 each! :omg:

Yep. You CAN'T get them anywhere. Not even from the scrap yard places. Something definately needs to be developed.

And boom there you go. Nothing available except replacing the part with the same defective part at $200.00 each. What would be the price people would be willing to pay for the machined and anodized solution I came up with? This part is not going to break, the door will have to be destroyed first!

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about some 3m DiNOC or 1080 Series carbon fiber wrap? I saw a bubble on my drivers side already and that's what I am going to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang