Some questions about tuning

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a '05 Vert and I had a couple questions... I spent yesterday at a shop where my buddy with an SRT4 was getting his pile tuned and I learned a few things. For boosted cars, the ideal air fuel ratio is low 11 to 1 and for a N/A car, it's 13 to 1. That being said, I took that account to my own car. Stock gen 3 with Mopar catless exhaust. Since adding the exhaust, I've noticed my car has ran much, MUCH more rich which makes me wonder how much power have I lost? Spark plugs and wires are still the factory ones from 2005 but I only have 30k miles. Do they need replacing?

Here's my dyno sheet BEFORE the catless exhaust. AFR shows 12 to 1 which is too rich?

You must be registered for see images

To summarize...
-The ideal AFR for boost = 11 to 1 and ideal AFR for N/A = 13 - 1, correct?
-Do my spark plugs and wires that were made in '05 need replacing only after 30k miles?
-Is having a catless exhaust making my car run more rich?
-Which SCT tuner should I get? SCT Xcaliber or SCT Pro Racer Custom?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

prpaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
11.8 is what most tuners shoot for with SRT-4s as I have one of these as well.

If anything you want to be richer , as if you go lean and then you go boom but if your too rich you are losing power. Do you have a wideband AFR gauge? How do you know you are richer now ? and if you aren't running cats on a stock tune shouldn't you be throwing a CEL ?

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dyno shop owner was telling me that 13 to 1 would be ideal. I am throwing a CEL but that's because my o2 sensor was damaged a bit from me scraping :(. When I had cats out and I ziptied the o2 sensors to the frame, I didn't have a CEL. I just feel like it's too rich because it seems to be a lot slower and I've been throwing a lot more flames lately

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, on my 06 Paxton car it got leaner with the Corsa installed. I was told to expect this and it did in fact happen. I had it dyno'd at a reputable (or so I thought) shop in MA after exhaust installation and they said it was fine at 12.2:1. They were wrong. Motor went bang. Had it replaced and retuned to a more acceptable 11.x:1

DholiRaja209

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 04 with K$n and Mopar Race exhaust and my AFR is at 12.6 with 33degrees of timing and put down 497rwhp and 530rwtq. I remember before the tune the car felt slow and sure enough I was losing power. With catless exhaust the car was running 10.6 AFR which is way too rich and 26 degrees of timing and put down 435rwhp :omg:. In your case 12.1 isn't rich it's considered safe. You can probably pick up a few more hp by going to 12.8-13.1 but to keep it safe my tuner set mine at 12.6 from 2K RPM on. Its been 2 years and I haven't had any issues with my motor :)

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 04 with K$n and Mopar Race exhaust and my AFR is at 12.6 with 33degrees of timing and put down 497rwhp and 530rwtq. I remember before the tune the car felt slow and sure enough I was losing power. With catless exhaust the car was running 10.6 AFR which is way too rich and 26 degrees of timing and put down 435rwhp :omg:. In your case 12.1 isn't rich it's considered safe. You can probably pick up a few more hp by going to 12.8-13.1 but to keep it safe my tuner set mine at 12.6 from 2K RPM on. Its been 2 years and I haven't had any issues with my motor :)

That dyno was before my exhaust... Now I really think I'm running rich!

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I uploaded a tune and I don't feel too much of a difference... Any one else feel a major difference after uploading their SCT tune?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
[QUOTE Spark plugs and wires are still the factory ones from 2005 but I only have 30k miles. Do they need replacing?

Short answer on the plugs, yes, replace them. I replace mine every year as they do wear if you run the car hard, and most of us do.....and they are cheap and easy to replace.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc