Someone gimme some quick help here!

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm changing the battery. I have removed all surrounding screws from the access panel. However, there's a a plastic plug type fastener just above the part of the panel where the bulge (battery indentation)is located. If you were looking directly at the panel it would be the upper left corner. I can't get this stupid thing off. It can't be unscrewed (just spins clockwise/counter) and I can't seem to pry it off. What am I doing wrong? Sheeeeeeesh. :crazy:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grab a pair of plyers and grip the screw-line thing and pull straight out.

Or put a flat-head screw driver underneath from the side and pry. Pry the middle and not the big outer ring.

good luck!

JD

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's one of those plastic push pins. Use a couple screw drivers, or the claws of a hammer or nail puller - you may need to replace it.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaces mine with one of those square plastic license plate "nuts"; you know the ones that push into the square holes in a car where the license plate screws on. I filed the corners of the square to be round so that it would push and snap into that large hole where the plastic push pin goes. Now you can use a screw with a washer (large washer, small hole) to replace that plastic fastener.

Later,

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW
I found the exact style replacement push pin and retainer at a Ford dealership.
They are used to hold the inner fender liners in the rear and other places on the car too.
Dodge didn't have them.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most dealers just have them sitting on a shelf/bin because they are needed so often.

How do I know. My wife bumped into a tree with a Jeep a few years back. Only damage to the Jeep was several of those stupid push pins went snap. Dealer just gave me a handful. Said writing it up would cost more than they were worth. The tree did not make out as well :(

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, everything back together and the Viper fired right up. Interestingly, the old battery was a Mopar one and was made in August 03. Only lasted a measly three years. I do use a battery tender when I leave the car for extended periods, but I also arm the alarm system. I'm convinced that the alarm contributed to the battery's early demise.

There was no mat under the old battery. I thought I had read in a past thread that there should be one? :confused: