SOMEONE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY!!!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OMG, I think I have just about had the worst Viper related day yet.

Lets break this down:

1. My starter went bad
2. My Battery went bad
3. I caused an accident while trying to get it started because some people would rather look at a Viper than where they are going when drving.
4. I have to lay out 170.00 bucks tomorrow to Sonic-Air BestFlight a starter here so I can get it installed tomorrow...or else I miss the local show this weekend.
5. I am going to be pressed for time to get my new rad, hoses, cooler, A/C o-rings, T-Stat and coolant swap completed for this weekend.
6. PepBoys is giving me $hit trying to replace my 2 month old Optima Red Top
7. My car is sitting at the DEALER tonight because it COULDNT start just ONE MORE TIME so I could bring it home.
8. I get to go to the dealer tomorrow to babysit my friggen car and make shure they dont break/bash/crash/spill or drop something on it waiting for the starter to come in
9. THIS WEATHER *****, AND BUFFALO BLOWS!!!

Anyone have anything to add?

P.S.-Anyone have a NEW starter available?

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey look at the bright side..At least your Viper wasn't involved in the accident.
:)

Not to mention the fact that you could be sitting in Baghdad getting the S**T bombed out of you :D

Cheers

Jeff

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vodka, Malibu ***, Diet Sprite, A little cherry juice, and some fresh pineapple works everytime.

All minor details when we look at the big picture.

Good luck.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,
all I can say is BUMMER
Hey I have a 99' red GTS don't have stripes though, want to borrow it? just kidden lol
good luck

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, bummer here too. I left my sunscreen at home today. Man that sun was hot, about 85 today!

Eliminator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a bummer. How about losing your clutch while driving in second gear. That was fun. I made it home though. Made all the green lights and ran a few stop signs. Stalled it in front of the garage, pushed it in. Had it picked up in the morning. The only one who got nervous was my 8 year old son. All fixed and back on the road.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch Dan, do tell about the battery as I was going to buy one in the next few weeks.

What is the deal with these red tops? Not the first one that crapped out if you do a search, are they junk or what???

Looks like I am out for this weekend as well, I am in no rush on my exhaust to finish as it's right at freezing with at least a foot of snow in front of my garage door. I am avoiding opening it to bring in all the moisture let alone drive the car, this getting stupid.

Salt trucks out in full force for all the ice, meaning when it dries out in the next few days salt dust for a week unless it rains!!

How's that for a rant? Not as good as yours that's for sure.......

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GENX- no clue whats up with the battery. I have installed 3, and this is the first problematic one. It is very possible that the starter CAUSED this crap, because until today, the battery never gave a hitch. I will still replace it with an Optima, due to the problem with regular batteries and vibration due to location. If I have a problem AGAIN however, Optima is toast. (though, Die-Hard Gold has been sitting in the back of my mind tonight. I KNOW those are incredible)

It is supposed to rain later this week, so most of the salt should be gone. Reconsider comming up if it does!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said genXgts

Ouch Dan, do tell about the battery as I was going to buy one in the next few weeks.

What is the deal with these red tops? Not the first one that crapped out if you do a search, are they junk or what???

Didn't Chuck get a crapper Red Top Optima about a month ago??? Seems like a trend...usually the sign of a company's QC program becoming complacent...

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
6300 on the clock.

Yep, just a flat out fail. It was getting progressively worse, but had the symptoms of a low battery, not a bad starter. I had planned to replace the battery tomorrow, but the starter died today, and at the dealer we discovered the battery was toast too.

The Viper Tech & I came to the conclusion that the starter had 1 field go bad, and every time it started, it was shorting out...eventually cooking the battery, and flat out becoming "toast" after enough fields were damaged.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry man! You need a gun? lol It could be worse! That's pretty easy stuff to fix. I'd be pissed too if my 6k mile car did that! Wait! I lost the tranny in my R/T at 4k miles and the engine at just over 5k. I re-thought this, I don't feel bad for you at all! ;)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said genXgts

Didn't Chuck get a crapper Red Top Optima about a month ago??? Seems like a trend...usually the sign of a company's QC program becoming complacent...

Naw, I snipped the terminal off and that ruins them apparently. Doesn't make sense to me but that's what everyone says. I got a DieHard. They always have been good.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed an Optima last year with no problems. I found out they make different amp ones in the same size housing so make sure you get the best one. I think mine was either 950 or 1000 amps but they had a 800 on the shelf.

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a better one for you. Me and a friend went out in our cars for the fisrst time this year. I have an 01 RT and he has a 93 RT. He just bought the car, registered it and was siked about driving it.20 minutes into the drive he pulled over so i turned around and his car stalled. about a minute later smoke is coming out of the passenger side. we opened the hood quick and there was his computer frying. First time driving it and not a good day.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW. The chrysler depot has one in stock in Canada and are next day delivery. Maybe bum start drive up to Wellingtom Motoers here in town 1 1/2 hr drive and have them install it.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM- I am 18! not 17 anymore...lol. (and canada is HOW far from here? only 1 more year...lol) Besides, you werent with me at VOI7...lol!!!

Everyone Else: the saga has reached an end! it turns out it is the [******] engine ground strap!!! which also caused the battery to go bad. My dealer is replacing the starter anyway tomorrow (Hammer Vs. Starter thing...), but at least it is home so I can finish working on it for this weekend!