Something sounds loose... Its making a metal on metal "squeak"

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I noticed that something in the motor is squeaking (metal on metal squeak) when the car is idling. I can't really pin point where its at exactly but the sounds comes and goes... At first I thought it was cold belts but the car seems to make the noise even when its fully warmed up...:dunno:

Any ideas?

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could u be hearing the famous valves/lifters? The search tool may be of assistance on this one.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a anooying squeek from motor too. Spent months trying to pin-point it. Mostly because i was too lazy to really look into it. So my noise would come after warmed up, Id often just get off freeway ,come to stop and then horrible noise.
Long story short, I found the right side exhaust manifold heat shield was rubbing on the frame. I took a pry bar and shoved it in between the two, wiggled it around to bend the shield away. No more noise. I was very happy.
Check your with a flashlight, I was able to see were it was rubbing the black paint off.

viperflex

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a anooying squeek from motor too. Spent months trying to pin-point it. Mostly because i was too lazy to really look into it. So my noise would come after warmed up, Id often just get off freeway ,come to stop and then horrible noise.
Long story short, I found the right side exhaust manifold heat shield was rubbing on the frame. I took a pry bar and shoved it in between the two, wiggled it around to bend the shield away. No more noise. I was very happy.
Check your with a flashlight, I was able to see were it was rubbing the black paint off.

I had the exact same thing. Check around the heat shields.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not to hijack this thread but i have noticed that after my car is completly warmed up i get noise (creeking) from the rear end. never when its cold. anyone have this? its a gen1.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to hijack this thread but i have noticed that after my car is completly warmed up i get noise (creeking) from the rear end. never when its cold. anyone have this? its a gen1.

Probably a bushing or mount or something. Heated by the exhaust, which causes expansion, and then friction.

Does it only do so in motion or parked too?

And yeah, my '01 GTS has squeaks. I fixed it with a better Alpine.

Midgetfist

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same here (passenger side), with essentially the same fix.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960