Something stole all my Horsepower.... Help!

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car flatlines north of 3kRPM. Starts to break up and just lose all power. The car seems to cruise OK up to 3k.

I took out the plugs (Which are new) and they're all VERY hot. White Flake on the electrodes. Changed the plugs out, same problem. Returned tune to stock, same problem. Thought it might be bad gas, put 10 gallons of new 93 in it, same problem (Still 6 gallons of the old stuff though).

Any thoughts on what to check? Thinking clogged cat, fuel filter, dying fuel pump, TPS Sensor not working, bad gas/water in gas or a bad ground somewhere.

Help appreciated!:drive:

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All those things sound like reasonable guesses, I just don't know which it is. If it continues without being resolved on here, might be time to visit Fran.

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All those things sound like reasonable guesses, I just don't know which it is. If it continues without being resolved on here, might be time to visit Fran.

Yea we spoke this morning, I'm likely going to drive down there and change my fuel filter tonight. Just would like a good writeup on where it is so I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, that's the other most likely guess after fuel filter.

Do you have the stock exhaust set up? If so, bring it to a local Viper tech to have the car checked out. If it turns out to be a cat... you get to kill 2 birds with one stone by setting your car up with a nice exhaust!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 20 bucks that says its not the fuel filter. Any takers?
(paypal accepted);)

Carlo, What exactly does it feal like when the issue happens?
Does it happen Every time you get up to 3K, or intermittent?

MoparSteve recently had the common Gen3 clogged cat issue. Have you talked to him?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference in side sill temperature from one side to the other after it runs for a bit

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 20 bucks that says its not the fuel filter. Any takers?
(paypal accepted);)

Carlo, What exactly does it feal like when the issue happens?
Does it happen Every time you get up to 3K, or intermittent?

MoparSteve recently had the common Gen3 clogged cat issue. Have you talked to him?

Sent him a text about an hour ago. I'll chat with him after work. Thanks Dom!

Is there a noticeable difference in side sill temperature from one side to the other after it runs for a bit

I haven't measured them. I could take the IR Camera home for the night and test it. I may bring home an anemometer and measure exhaust flow, figured that would be an easy clue.

Do you have the stock exhaust set up? If so, bring it to a local Viper tech to have the car checked out. If it turns out to be a cat... you get to kill 2 birds with one stone by setting your car up with a nice exhaust!

No I changed out my exhaust after purchasing the car with Corsa. I do everything myself, just hoping someone had similar problems to reduce my troubleshooting time. I'm sure it's an easy fix.

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I'm going to have the car up on the lift, change all the fluids and figure out my issue.... where the heck can I get a Fuel Filter locally? I'd have no problem buying from our dealer, but he doesn't have it in stock and neither does anyone locally.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, hope you're staying cool!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my fuelfilter a couple years ago and replaced it with a NAPA unit. They had it in stock.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my car it was a clogged cat. The evidence was that the O2 sensor was filled with metallic looking debris. You might be able to look at the sensor without having to tear too much apart. Even though the car would barley run at freeway speeds, there where no idiot lights, or error codes.

8 months later, the cats just failed again, and both sides had to be replaced. Again there were no error codes. This time I took it to the shop when I noticed metallic debris on the garage floor, before the cat completely clogged. The shop has no idea what caused it. Dodge stepped in and paid the majority of the bill under the assumption that the cats were factory defective.

~Jay

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw it on the lift tomorrow if I get home early. I'll ditch them at first, if I don't care for the sound/smell I'll try another set or high flows.

tbi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted all my cats with straight pipes and the sound is not much louder than stock and no smell

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang