Something that's been bugging me for ages

viperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do a lot of Viper diecast cars have the #5 on the side?

I've seen the Eagles Race Presentation Version with the #5 and also the GTS-R in posters with the #5 and since then there seems to be a few diecast with the 5 on the side also, what's the significance of it?

Thanks.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope.
But, we will not tell....it's a secret like location and date of VOI.IIIIIIIIIII :D

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, should I ???????

Do you mean like this one??????

ViperInHPBooth.jpg

This car was in our booth at the SAE Conference in Detroit in 1996 or 1997. The car has a lot of history behind it. I believe it is one of the first 5 prototypes built and it was driven around Laguna Seca by Bob Lutz at it's introduction. My history of the car is a bit rusty. I sure someone of the board knows all about it.
It was also the first Viper that I ever touched.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the car, actual like above, photos, posters, diecast but don't know why it has a #5 and why so many diecast have copied it over to smaller scale also.

Couple of examples from Eagles Race, Hot Wheels and Racing Champions:

You must be registered for see images attach

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it was the number on the side of the car that was unveiled at the owners' dinner at VOI 2 in Monterey, CA in '95 (yes, I was there). Lutz announced that Dodge was going to LeMans with the Viper to race in GT-1. It made its track debut at the historics that weekend.

Last edited: