Sound Clip of Muffler Delete vs Stock?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pretty good comparison of the stock exhaust vs stock exhaust without muffler? A sound clip of the muffler delete would be great. I plan on trying to get it done this weekend... Tiepilot posted the info for a reputable muffler shop who would do it in Atlanta. Anyone else with a suggestion?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this - Stock system first half of the clip and the Snake Oyl 2nd half.

The Snake Oyl is a muffler delete pipe set without a crossover.

Viper Exhaust Sound File

65snakeoil_pipes3.jpg

:usa:

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put in crossover tube in mine. Sound is NOT overbearing, but more like a factory performance exhaust option i.e. like a transam ws-6 is noticably louder/deeper than a regular transam. This is the way Dodge should have done it.
Personally, I'd make it a little louder still with some high flow cats, but my wife will be driving this car alot, and she carries my baby in there.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the rear muffler should be mandatory on all Vipers. DC should have put some sort of quick change muffler system in there.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron - from the looks of it there in your pic the stock piece just clamps on there and isn't welded upstream?

Looks like it doesn't have to be cut or messed with and just slips off? Is this true?

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Achilles99,

I made this short clip when I installed the SnakeOyl straight pipes. The sound quality could be better. As said above, the sound of a 1998 is 100% improved while not being too loud.

Muffler delete

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big volume difference comes from the resonators in the rocker panels. I couldn't tell that much difference with just the muffler section removed....then I had the resonators cut out and replaced with straight pipes. People have to block their ears when standing behind the car.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron - GREAT sound clips! Definitely tested the bass on my computer speakers :)

Michel - Also a great clip to compare with... thanks for posting. You have now helped with my hard top hoist, and now possibly muffler delete :)

Tiepilot - Great talking with you. I'm going to try and see when James at Cherokee mufflers is free... it's a bit of a trek, but definitely worth it to get the job done right!

I think I'd like to cut off the mufflers... now, to go with hi-flow cats or not...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the Snake Oyl clamps in just like stock. Piece of cake.

A lower cost alternative, stock look, great sound, less drone:

You must be registered for see images

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else remove the resonators aft of the cat?

That's a few times I have heard an audible difference from dropping them.
When I talked to Sean Roe when ordering my cats, I asked if any power increase was there, and he said a few horse, not enough to measure, so I didn't consider it.

As soon as we get some decent weather I'm going in and putting everything on, debating on the resonators drop, love to hear any comments.

Thanks,

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool! It looks like the "normal" tips on that rear section stick out a but further than stock? You mention stock appearing so I'm guessing same look tips + they stick out a tad more (3-5" or so).

The oval tips look kinda nice but if the rear section looks and sticks out exactly like the stock tips then I'm cool with that (don't want them sticking way out there if I can help it).

Thanks!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "home made" muffler delete has the tips in the stock location, though I did chrome them.

My desire for the stock look is based on my liking the turn up of the tips as the go under the rear facia. Haven't seen any aftermarket exhaust that maintains that element.

Stock resonators are a straight through design with no neck down, therefore very free flowing. More of a sound tuning mechanism than anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc