Sound systems

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search for "My Sound System" and youll see pics of mine. Also the forum member DSR207 has a pretty nice system and trunk done out. Just do a search with his name as the subject. If u need anymore info just ask or PM.

Nico

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done different things with my Gen I and III.

The GenI was a 650 watt system that was a brute. I did JL sub and speakers along with ADS. Headunit was a pioneer. The very unique thing done to this car was that I ported the encloure (12" sub) from the trunk into the cab of the car. Basically used PVC to route ports under the car and between the exles to behind the seats. Every ounce of sound was them projected easily into the car. At lov volumes the bass was very clear and subtlties could be heard. This is possible on the GenIII, but not with the same size ports, the car just didn't have the room to run large ports. Many other details I won't mention, but a cap was a must for the amps (along with a few neons).

You must be registered for see images

The GenIII has a similar system, without porting. I didn't want as heavy a setup in the trunk because I race. I went with JL and ADS for speakers, amps, and crossovers. This time I went with a sealed encloser. I pulled out the stock woofer between the seats and we built an enclosure for a 10" sub. I wanted more of a factory built look. Doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as the GenI, but both cars have very well balanced sound high above stock. The headunit is a Pioneer AVIC-N2. I went with cold cathod tubes this time around because of their thin size. They were easier to hide and provided a very nice glow.

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why thank you haha.

SmoknTires - Could you get a shot of the 10 inch sub between the seats? I was able to fit two eights and was told that two tens wouldn't fit, but I never thought of just one ten.

Nico

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much to see except for the JL logo. I looked for shots but nothing that will give you a good idea of what was done.

Yes, two subs are impossible, both from an excursion perspective and airspace. We tried, loving the idea of using both grills for speakers. But there's just not enough room behind that back panel. But one sub fit ok with a few issues.

We had issues with airspace. So we cut away the metal panel behind the seats so that a custom box could be built slightly larger than the factory plastic ported sub enclosure. We now had all the airspace we needed. The JL sub I chose fit in the box perfectly and actually touched the back of the box. To eliminate reverberation, I dynamatted the back of the box and physically attached the sub to the back of the box. We also built it as a sealed enclosure rather than a band pass like the stock because that requires less air space (I had about 1.5 cubic in the box).

To get the most space, we used dense, but thin wood. To gain a deep sound affect we dynamatted the entire outside of the box and used stuffing on the inside.

Excursion was our last problem. The speaker would sometimes hit the inside of the cap that goes over the box. We simply altered the back panel not to slide so far back behind the seats. This gave the speaker room to move without hitting the speaker grill, we only needed 1/2 extra. No one ever noticed what we did, still looked fairly stock.

The thing I kept in my mind is that I wasn't looking for tremendous volume from the center speaker. It'll over power your other speakers simply because it's inches from your ears, staging wouldn't be correct. Because of the changes I made with the speakers and amps on the car, I could begin using the center speaker as a woofer or subwoofer rather than a mid-bass as the stock was tuned. So a bigger center speaker, running at lower power ranges, gave a nice deep sound with little strain - while the other speakers in the car were of higher quality, bigger amps, running at lower frequencies to create the sound range and volume I needed.

I had to compensate for that loud Belanger headers and exhaust! At least that's how I justified the money I invested. :.)

Hope that helps.

BBYE 50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know the airspace in the sub area (center console) of the SRT-10 vert.. I was just going to put a JL 6 4ohm sub there and either adjust port size or seal it...? (with lots of polyfil...) Smokn and DSR.. what are your thoughts.. worth the trouble or should I just cram an 8 or 10 in the passenger floorboard?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96