Sparco Race Pedals

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just received my Sparco Race pedals and I think I have dislocated both thumbs trying to get those little rubber dots into the pedals(took some serious restraint not to use more profane words describing those dots!). There must be a trick that the pain and throbbing from my thumbs is preventing me from discovering. Anyone have any suggestions on getting the dots in there without scratching the pedals up...please?

devil.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post pics if you can...please

In general puttting petals on are a real pain..shoulders still ache.

They should have come from the factory with nice petals
pissed.gif

JIM

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 'em all in using a small punch to push them through the holes. I thought of using soap, but that's the worst lubricant because it never fully dries.

I'll put them on today or tomorrow, have to take my old ones off. Funny, but the ones I'm taking off are the Snake Oyl pedals. I don't like the attaching mechanism (I opted to use the non destructive metal clip on the back) and the pedals can get slick with my racing shoes. There was a thread about the Snake Oyl gas pedal not fitting right. I had the same problem, but a slight bend of the clip and some patientice turning each screw evenly and I had no problems with it. I just didn't like how it felt.

I fully intend on drilling the pedals and attaching the Sparco ones with the screws and locknuts provided. My only concern at this point is that the Sparco pedal is curved, but the stock gas pedal and the Snake Oyl gas pedal are relatively straight.

I'll post pictures of before and after, showing both pedal sets.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have the pre-nubbed ZAF pedals on my car for 5 years. EASY to install, and much better feel. Dots are pre-installed, and they come with a few extras in case you wear one off. I lost 3nubs in 5 years. The same nub, 3 times.

Ditto on the SnakeOyl comments from our customers.
I stick to ZAF on that item. $149 / set.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shifter:
Anyone have any suggestions on getting the dots in there without scratching the pedals up...please?

devil.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try Windex

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the auto industry we use a product called Merpol (spelling?) to make getting things like hoses and rubber plugs, etc. on easier. It feels like soap, but it dries as far as I know.

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, spent most of the day playing with these pedals, and here's how it went:

You can see from this photo the way the Snake Oyl pedals look in the car. Notice that the gas pedal is a bit shorter than the stock, but not bad. I didn't drill any holes in any pedals for the Snake Oyl, I used their fastening technique. The only problem was that I couldn't get the alignment perfect due to the stock pedal arm getting in the way. Check it out:

snakeoylpedals.JPG

Here are the pedals compared to each other. Note how I had to bend both the upper and lower accelerator pedal brackets for the Snake Oyl to get it to fit properly. Also note the size difference between the Sparco and Snake Oyl gas pedals, that will come into play in a second. Here's the photo:

pedalscompare.JPG

Installing the sparco pedals were much more difficult than I thought they would be. I decided to drill out the stock pedals and use the Sparco hardware. Unfortunately, there is very little room on the stock clutch and brake pedal to drill 2 1/4" holes cleanly, at the Sparco hole locations. Centering the pedals for function and appearance, I couldn't drill all the way through both top holes, they hit the pedal arm. So, I decided to tap 1/4 20 threads on the top holes, and use threadlock in securing the top screws which were 1/4" x 1". For the bottom, the largest hole size I could drill clean through was 3/16", and I used nylon locknuts to secure the 3/16" x 1.5" screws (didn't come with the Sparco pedals).

The gas pedal also required drilling, but it was tough finding an acceptable location. The bottom hole on the sparco pedal is very close to the gas pedal pin. My only choice was to align the Sparco pedal with the bottom of the stock pedal, or raise the Sparco pedal up about 1.5" higher than the stock pedal to clear the pin. I drilled the center hole first, so I could try the pedal at both locations.

My conclusion was that 1.5" higher up the stock pedal from the bottom looked quite funny. I then tried aligning it with the bottom of the stock pedal, and I thought it looked better, and fit my shoes and driving position better, but it looked short. The screws the Sparco pedals came with for the gas pedal were also way too short. I had to use some 1/4" x 1.5" instead of the 1" long ones in the kit. You can still see the stock gas pedal behind the Sparco pedal at the top. Standing outside the car you really can't see the top of the pedal, nor when you are sitting in the car. You can only see it when you stand back a ways, or when you crouch down to look, like I did to take this photo:

Sparcopedals.JPG

Overall conclusion? Not completely happy with either. The Sparco pedals feel better than the Snake Oyl, are really secure, and look better if you don't consider how short the gas pedal cover is. These are functional, so I'll probaly try them out for a while. I also think that I might give another brand a shot (ZAF?) before summers out, knowing myself quite well. The shortie Sparco gas pedal will start to bother me eventually. If it were longer, I'd be happier. (Too tired to make a joke at that last line...
tongue.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shifter and Silvertouch,
I really like mine and no drilling...
will post the pics on Sat. and I am complete happy with mine.
check out the thread:

New pedals covers $53

It has a link so you can go see them. My accelerator petal is
almost the same size as stock.

good luck
JIM

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
I am very curious to see your pics, thanks. The Mach 3 pedals seem rather smooth (no traction dots or knurled surface) and that's why I decided to change my Snake Oyl pedals. With my Simpson shoes on, the Snake Oyl pedals can get slick and I've had my foot slip off the brake pedal during a heel to toe downshift.