Spare Tire.

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have swapped out my 17s, for 18s front and 19s rear.The spare is the space saver 17. Would it be ok to use this if I had a flat. Or would it screw something up. I'm thinking more the rear with the gearing.:dunno:. Or would it be better to pick up a sealant and compressor.
Thank Shaun.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be very ******* the "trac-lock" differential in the rear. I would not use the spare.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the diameter of the tires on both rims are very close i would think you would be fine, its not the rim size but the diameter of the tire, i could be wrong maybe they need to be exact, i would like to know also because I have done the 18,19 upgrade

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that would screw alot of things up. The rear would burn itself out due to the different speeds of the two tires. Front would sit twisted and with your ride height might even scrape.

Get a can or two. Much safer.

Leave the spare in the trunk though! DO NOT remove it as you cant use it. The spare is part of the rear impact protection. If you remove it, you just removed some occupant safety in the event of a rear crunchin'.:omg:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that would screw alot of things up. The rear would burn itself out due to the different speeds of the two tires. Front would sit twisted and with your ride height might even scrape.

Get a can or two. Much safer.

Leave the spare in the trunk though! DO NOT remove it as you cant use it. The spare is part of the rear impact protection. If you remove it, you just removed some occupant safety in the event of a rear crunchin'.:omg:

Cannot emphasize enough, do not remove the spare!

OP
OP
N

NSviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.I was thinking of taking the spare out.Good job I asked the question. I'll leave it in, and pick up compressor and kit. The wife is just going to have to leave something else behind .Oh the choices she has to make.:).
Shaun.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So this would be bad:

P1000223.JPG

:D :D :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice how the tops of the bottles point to the head of the driver/passenger? If I get hit hard, it will be over quick......................:eek:

:D :D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did notice that! :lmao: Was just thinking that if you saw something coming from behind too quick you could just discharge the tanks into the intake and it should solve both problems at once! ;):D

Bye bye baby......:drive:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It does depend on year and model. I believe the wisdom from all true gurus who've reported on this in the past suggests don't remove 'em on most RT/10's, no worries on GTSs.....not sure about SRTs....

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one is perhaps the most detailed/factual, from Jon B a while back.

FWIW

If you have a roll bar or cage, no worry. HOWEVER

Some history: When Vipers were first crash-tested by Fed mandate, it was discovered that the RT/10 TRUNK LID can dislodge in a rear crash. If the spare is not in the trunk, the trunk lid can intrude into the cockpit thru the rear window. The rear sport hoop acts as a blade-guide and the trunklid edge becomes a guillotene. The INFLATED Spare Tire, if BOLTED IN, becomes a great shock-absorber and rear tub stiffener and prevents the decklid from moving forward and therefore prevents head loss.

Team Viper members attending the FIRST EVER VIPER NATIONALS DRAG RACES in TX in 1995 pointed this out to the the TECH INSPECTOR there, and spares have been madated in RT/10s ever since. I am fairly certain that tech inspector was the same guy who informed SKIP THOMAS at VIPER DAYS. That tech inspector was me. At the fisrt VOI-sanctioned drags {VOI-4 Orlando} we required Spares in RT10s only.

If you have a ROLL BAR in the car, this prevents the trunk intrusion, so the spare was less important, but still a functional rear-crash safety device preventing more serious frame collapse. So VRL maintained the requirement in non-roll-cage cars, even tho federal REAR CRASH DATA on GTSs was not as forboding results as RT/10.

I think the SRT Spare tie-down is to prevent its mounting-point ejection, not to make it a structural component; But if it stays in place it certainly helps absorb impact. SRT10 frames are carry-over to 2008, and there is NO SPARE in the 08. I am curious about any crash-test results and steps taken for 08.

Support our supporting vendors! Click here to send JonB - PartsRack a private message or inquiry