Spark plugs = +20 hp???

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm reading an ad in the back of autoweek magazine that is an ad for pulstar spark plugs and it shows a dyno grapho of a nissan 350z increase of 11 horsepower and similar in torque.

The 350z makes like half the hp of the viper, would spark plugs like these or similar give +20 hp to the viper?

They got all sorts dyno results on their blog at Pulstar Pulse Blogs Anybody used these or have ideas? I would surely change right away for 20 horsepower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the other thread.

This was very insightful:

Pulstar Plugs
"Well for those that remember. I convinced the makers of pulstar plugs to send me a free set. For my car that comes to $200.00 worth of plugs.. These plugs were suppose to crank up the spark.. increase compression and power..

I worked out a time to borrow the dyno at dynosport to run some test. What i had in my car going to the dyno were all Acdelco uraniums with about 4,000 miles on them.. THey are 100,000 mle plugs so i figured they were still good... at this point its giving the pulstars the advantage.. Well after doing some averaging.. it was concluded the pulstars increased power by 1hp and lost 1tq at the wheels over my used Acdelcos. I left them in to see if it would increase fuel econ. At first it seemed like i gained a couple mpg in town.. but after a few weeks that tappered off. I assume the difference wasn't the plugs but possibly gas/driving/enviroment and all the lil maintance i did before going like cleaning my maf.

Long story short.. they dont' work atleast not as advertised.. All the cars they test are stock... My car is no where near stock.. however considering the method they are suppose to work... there should be equal improvement on my car over a stock...

Welll it gets better. My car started acting up after the first snow storm... I kept thinking it was probably my 02's. They needed to be replaced but this didn't feel like 02s. although the rich smell and hte o2 codes said otherwise..

Well to get to my o2's i have to lower my headers. NOT an easy task... because of the way they drop i have to remove my sparkplugs... which means remove the pulstars... the first one came out just fine... looked just fine (color of the plug thats in the head) but that was the last one that came out that way.. every other one came out breaking... the ceramic coating that is... one was broken before i even put the socket over it. i had a hard time getting my socket over it.. because of the ceramic piieces laying underneither the plug on the head... so after strugglling for about 5 mins with it i finally go it off and it came out in peices.. just the top half everything inside the head was ok.. but this was obviously my problem.. So long story short they dont' work and are piles of ****. "

The thing that gets me is they have all sorts of dyno graphs on their blog showing hp increases, and fuel economy gains for my limo service would be great. Do you guys like think theyre faking these dyno graphs or something???

Last edited:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To Pteam , a great write up. The power of advertising will never cease to amaze me! for you guys that have mildly modded 2003-2006 vipers try out Autolite XP 985 plugs, just do not re-gap them. You will see a improvement.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed NGK Iridium plugs around 7800 miles. The 05 Viper I own now has a little over 10,000 miles and I have had no problems whatsoever with these plugs.

Tim

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So has anybody actually dyno tested plugs / wires on a viper and seen an increase in hp? results?

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just seen another ad by pulstar in a magazine that had the dyno graph tested by a 3rd party MODIFIED magazine. So how could they not add horsepower?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960